LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle Position Sensor??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Position Sensor??? Help!

Alright so a little while back my car started acting up, one night I went to leave school and my car idled at 1500 rpm. It was weird I figured it would go away when it warmed up. Even though it had never done this before I didn't think much of it because like -2 degrees outside. Once it warmed up it did not go away. And did it all the way home. Whenever I took it out of gear it would go to 1500.
Ok so then a little while later I was getting onto the interstate so I got after it pretty good and went through the gears and noticed I was not running right. Everytime I would shift the Rpms would go from 4k or whatever they were and they would DIVE. So I just cruised to my exit and when I came to a stop, i noticed I couldn't hear anything. I look down and my Rpms were at like 500... I couldn't hear the motor and was staying down by 500. It was kinda weird, it wasn't like super rough idle, just super low and smooth. I would rev it and it would go straight back to 500.
So I parked the car, next time I drove it, it was fine. Over the last month or so I have noticed it only does this for the most part after I go WOT or rod around. So I'm thinking maybe the tps is sticking? Bad? Also i looked at the TB the other day and it was really black and oily. So thoughts?? I'm stick of this! Do I need to clean up the sensor get a new one? Anything else I should look at?? HELP!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
Also i looked at the TB the other day and it was really black and oily. So thoughts?? I'm stick of this! Do I need to clean up the sensor get a new one? Anything else I should look at?? HELP!
get some TB cleaner and clean TB.Also remove IAC valve and clean it and inside of TB. You will need to remove the TB to do this. Your IAC (idle air control) could be dirty & sticking or bad.

also check for vacume leaks, dry/brittle lines and elbows that leak can cause high/erratic idle.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
get some TB cleaner and clean TB.Also remove IAC valve and clean it and inside of TB. You will need to remove the TB to do this. Your IAC (idle air control) could be dirty & sticking or bad.

also check for vacume leaks, dry/brittle lines and elbows that leak can cause high/erratic idle.
Alright what should I clean it with? Just spray it with tv cleaner?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

get throttle body cleaner. don't push printle in on the IAC valve when you remove it, just spray and wipe off
Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Alright so I figured out the gasket under my throttle body plate was shredded. So I sealed everything up with rtv and cleaned out the TB. It was running better than ever. The. Aight so I went and messed around in the car. After I went wot the damn thing stuck at 3k. I pulled over into a turn lane and had to shut it off. After I restarted it and shut it off 3 times it finally idled normal again
Has to be the tps right?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need autotap or equivelant scanner, i have one in the for sale section.
with it you will be able to see what the tps and iac are saying to the computer.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor??? Help!