Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil issues and oil adapter.. which to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil issues and oil adapter.. which to get?

New motor and new turbo setup. After hitting boost for a minute my oil pressure drops a LOT. like 5-10lbs. If I don't get into boost it stays around 30-40. I haven't checked it with a manual gauge because my oil feed plate has only one feed on it. What adapter can I get for a feed line, oil cooler lines, oil temp and oil pressure? Also.. When I go higher in rpms it seems to stay or lower some.. Its so hard to explain. If I'm cruising in 5th gear and give it 10% throttle the pressure drops like 2psi then let off the throttle and it raises back to 40.. Ive done like 6 oil changes with all kinds of oil. They're all the same. Now I have 20w-50 with a half bottle of Lucas oil stabalizer. Does fine until it heats up then 20psi at idle. 30 at 1800rpm. The stock gauge also flickers a little bit. Its a new opsu. Anyways.. Which adapter and where can I get it? And which oil cooler should I get? And manual gauges and all that? Anyone?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have come across the exact symptoms that you posted up twice. Sorry to say it but your main bearings are trashed. I have seen this twice as the line bore on my LQ9 was out in left field and I trashed two sets of main bearings real quick. What happens is the crankshaft pushes downward a few thousands of a inch when you accelerate increasing the gap between the crank and block side bearing allowing oil to leak directly out and into the oil pan. This caused the oil pressure to drop my car would drop 5 psi hang there and as soon as I let off, the load would go away causing the crank to move up and pressure would jump up oil pressure gauge would move down in 5th or 6th like half the with of the needle and hang then snap up.. 30-40 psi is low anyway for a healthy LS you should see 40-45 at idle and 65 plus at redline. Dont like to give bad news but you need to pull the motor and check it out before you spin a bearing and the cost goes way up for the repair.

Also the ligenfelter oil block has provisions for the turbo, Oil temp gauge, and oil cooler. In fact I bought one trying to diagnose my oil pressure issues and pulled the motor and found trashed main bearings.

Sorry I have been there, doing a million oil changes swapping OPSU installing oil pressure guages, if it makes you feel better my car would show like 7-8 psi more on a mechanical but it had the exact same characteristic. Good luck
Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

wow..that's not what I wanted to hear..lol... also only the initial throttle it decreases and then moves up.. i tested it out. I'm going to take a video tomorrow. Other than that, any way to check it from the pan without dropping the motor?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinkp
wow..that's not what I wanted to hear..lol... also only the initial throttle it decreases and then moves up.. i tested it out. I'm going to take a video tomorrow. Other than that, any way to check it from the pan without dropping the motor?
Yes if you still have the oil filter from when you noticed the issue cut it open if it looks like you are panning for gold thats babbit material from your bearings. The oil plug will also have metal almost graphite colored sluge caked on it that you can wipe off with a paper towel.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Vid as promised:
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the oring on the oil pickup tube is not installed correctly, or cut or the tube is cocked in the oil pump. This allows air to enter into the inlet of the oil pump, cavitating the pump. When you excelerate it draws more air in and the oil pressures drop. This issue will rapidly result in destroyed main bearings, rod bearings, and cam bearings.

Stop running the engine, pull the engine out of the car and drop the oil pan, inspect the bearings, install the oil pickup tube correctly.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for response. It ended up being a result of overboost and crank flex.

Quick Reply: oil issues and oil adapter.. which to get?