Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

80 Firebird Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 80 Firebird Owner

Hello everyone and thanks.
I am a current 80 Firebird owner looking to swap to an LS1. Not sure of whats tranny I am going with but I guess thats what these threads are for. I am a GM car guy and was raised on the wheel well of my uncles 82 Camaro with a heavily modified 350 and a blower that ran in the low 10s.
I have the advantage of being a Mechanical Drafter/Designer (Autodesk Inventor) working for a Metal forging, casting and machining industrial company with CNC machines and direct access to any metal I want.
I will be asking questions as I have just gotten to the financial point of being able to work on/build my car. Some questions will be:
-Transmission suggestions
-Rear end and posi-trac questions
-Wiring, ECM, PCM, etc
-Suspension
I look forward to communicating with you guys.
I have a rare gem in a 2nd gen Firebird and my 12 year old son already is taking ownership of it from me. lol
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good man, I was just working on my 79 TA, though I just put an Olds 455 in it. Might switch to a LS later if I get tired of the Olds. Got plenty of LS engines to play with already though lol.

As far as transmissions, if you want an auto, a 4L80e is a good compromise between strength and price. Other 4 speed autos can be built to handle power, and I'd love to have a 6 speed auto in something, but they are pretty expensive.

For a manual, you really can't beat a t56, especially in a fuel injected car. The only good 5 speeds on the market will cost just as much, and who would want a 4 speed with no over drive? lol.

2nd gens come equipped with 8.5 inch rear axles, which can handle quite a bit of power. If your Firebird doesn't have a posi, you can easily find a posi axle from a mid-late 70s TA or Camaro and put whatever gears you want in it.

Quick Reply: 80 Firebird Owner