Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

victor series vs FAST 102

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default victor series vs FAST 102

im sure the camparison has been made but from a performance and tuning stand point. is the victor series more difficult to tune and drive? is it mostly made for drag type set up? would the victor series be ok for a mostly street driven car? my mods are listed. or should i just stick with my FAST 102?

plus i also discovered an elbow that can be installed without cutting the cowl or modifying the hood

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ctor-ls1.shtml
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...e_elbows.shtml
Old 12-21-2013, 11:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the Super Victor has no issues if you have the right cam spec'd for it...and it always outdoes the 102 when you have the right cam ground for it

I daily drive a Super Victor.....well.. I did before I turned my car into a full on racecar..
No issues

the Elbows all kill power, the elbows are designed for Forced induction.... buy a K&N Carb Hat filter and never look back...
you will have to notch the cowl a little bit...but its worth it

Tuning is no different than any other intake....
Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ 100% agree. I'm going with a Super Victor/4150 or 4500 TB this winter with a new custom spec'd cam to complement the new intake/TB setup.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, everyones in agreement that a properly speced cam with a super vic or mast will not lose any power from 4500-8000rpm vs the Fast102 in a 346" motor ??

Is there any "proof" to these claims ??

Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
So, everyones in agreement that a properly speced cam with a super vic or mast will not lose any power from 4500-8000rpm vs the Fast102 in a 346" motor ??

Is there any "proof" to these claims ??

theres lots of proof to the claims....
you just have to be willing to look around...

I dont have any dyno graphs on my computer....but I have personal experience with swapping and have seen my own car with no other changes other than the cam and the intake....pick up power across the entire RPM Range...no loss anywhere.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
theres lots of proof to the claims....
you just have to be willing to look around...

I dont have any dyno graphs on my computer....but I have personal experience with swapping and have seen my own car with no other changes other than the cam and the intake....pick up power across the entire RPM Range...no loss anywhere.
That's on your 408ci engine right?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
That's on your 408ci engine right?

My 408, and on a previous car with a 346
size of engine doesnt really make a difference in how effective it is if a cam is spec'd correctly
the only thing that changes is the total overall output....
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was talking to Chris @ Mast on Friday and he was not sure if his manifold would be quicker down the track vs the Fast102 with real world SBE 346" constraints.

Example....
hydro roller
7800-8000rpm ecu/reluctor limits
street car weights (2900-3300lbs)
less than optimal trans ratios and rpm drop backs

fyi.....1-2 shift in a m6 T-56 is 2500 drop @ 7500rpm !!

etc....etc.

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 12-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:28 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

My 408, and on a previous car with a 346
size of engine doesnt really make a difference in how effective it is if a cam is spec'd correctly
the only thing that changes is the total overall output....
What was the Super Vic on the 346ci engine compared to?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM
8 Second Club

What do you mean...

I just said both combos I switched from a fast 102 to a super Victor....

The 346 I bought used and already modified...
Went to the dyno... got a baseline...
Bought a super victor and a cam... did the swap and went back to the dyno... no other changes...
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

the Super Victor has no issues if you have the right cam spec'd for it...and it always outdoes the 102 when you have the right cam ground for it

I daily drive a Super Victor.....well.. I did before I turned my car into a full on racecar..
No issues

the Elbows all kill power, the elbows are designed for Forced induction.... buy a K&N Carb Hat filter and never look back...

Well the super victor is designed for up to 8k rpms where I only want spin my engine to 7200k maybe, I figured since it was designed for such high rpm duties that I may lose power below max horse power, or under the curve rather.

That since its a metal intake too, is heat soak not an issue with this? Plus I have PRC 227CC, which are not the biggest intake ports. I figured it might be too much intake for the heads, although there is on going controversy about that

Can you point me in the direction of that KN carb hat your talking about?

Plus im running an MS3, would that compliment the super vic well or no?

Last edited by zzcamaro00; 12-23-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: I felt like it
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by zzcamaro00
Well the super victor is designed for up to 8k rpms where I only want spin my engine to 7200k maybe, I figured since it was designed for such high rpm duties that I may lose power below max horse power, or under the curve rather.

That since its a metal intake too, is heat soak not an issue with this? Plus I have PRC 227CC, which are not the biggest intake ports. I figured it might be too much intake for the heads, although there is on going controversy about that

Can you point me in the direction of that KN carb hat your talking about?
K&N Filter
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm

I use the PRC 227's on my engine...plenty big enough

seriously...heat soak?? really?? do you not understand how fast the air is moving and how little heat it picks up at WOT...absolutely Zero...
heat soak is a Myth from people who are looking for excuses because they dont understand how airflow actually moves.

might pick up a few degrees at idle, but its not from heat soak...its from picking up actual warm air because you arent supplying it with cold air from outside the vehicle very well .
Air is a very very poor conductor of heat....

Last edited by soundengineer; 12-23-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't the Vic jr pull past 7000? I'm curious why it doesn't get mentioned but the super Vic does and it pulls to 8000...
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N Filter

seriously...heat soak?? really?? do you not understand how fast the air is moving and how little heat it picks up at WOT...absolutely Zero...
heat soak is a Myth from people who are looking for excuses because they dont understand how airflow actually moves.

might pick up a few degrees at idle, but its not from heat soak...its from picking up actual warm air because you arent supplying it with cold air from outside the vehicle very well .
Very nice, great info here! I will also be looking into a carburetor/4barrel type intake for my street/strip LSX build as well.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Just because the Super Vic flows well up to 8k rpm's doesn't mean it doesn't make good power/torque below 8k... That just tells you that it has the ability to make power at a much higher rpm than most LS intakes and it is nice if you decide to upgrade to a larger cam and/or more cubic inches.

OP: If you have absolutely NO plans to upgrade cam / bigger cubic inches and driving on the street and keep it under 7200 than you may as well get a victor jr. IMO...An ms3 isn't an extra large cam by no means and the vic jr will compliment it better...
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

K&N Filter

I can believe that, I was thinking more along the lines of cast iron heads (or is that not the case there either?) which I tend to believe tend to do that, plus our intakes are dry intakes which will keep em cooler.

What kind of gaskets does the super victor/ victor jr use? I believe I see a vic intake in my future.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

No issues

Maybe I forgot to mention im not using a carb, id like to use a 92mm throttle body thats why I mentioned the elbows.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM
8 Second Club

Cathedral head uses this one.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1312-3/10002/-1

And its the same case with the heads...
Not enough time to heat up the air.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

im sure the camparison has been made but from a performance and tuning stand point. is the victor series more difficult to tune and drive? is it mostly made for drag type set up? would the victor series be ok for a mostly street driven car? my mods are listed. or should i just stick with my FAST 102?

plus i also discovered an elbow that can be installed without cutting the cowl or modifying the hood

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ctor-ls1.shtml
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...e_elbows.shtml
I did a Gen IV engine build using a GM single plane intake (similar to the victor) with a FAST 4 barrel TB and port fuel injection. The engine builder spent a lot of time to spec the correct cam for the set up. The engine was easy to tune with no issues... and works great for street driving. Very linear with no flat spots or spikes.

It's important with the single plane to make sure the incoming air is not restricted. I tested different cold air intakes on mine while the engine was on the engine dyno. When I ran a 90 degree elbow with 4" tubing, the peak HP dropped over 60 HP! The best result was achieved using a 14" diameter x 4" tall K&N filter in a drop base on top of the 4 barrel TB.

With a single plane you will get some extra peak HP, and higher RPM potential in comparison to the LS plastic intakes. My car has a 4 speed manual trans and I wanted to be able to wind it up in the 7k range out on the track. The engine runs smooth with a very linear power curve and made 672 HP at 6900 RPM and 566 Torque @ 5500 RPM. The torque was near 500 Lb-ft at 3600 RPM and was still over 500 Lb-ft at 7000 RPM. I like the results with the single plane and I'm glad I tried it.

I have been driving mine on the street for the past couple of years ... and the tune has not been modified since the engine was tuned on the dyno. Here is the dyno sheet from my 427" gen IV engine build. Even though your engine is less cubic inches, you can still expect to get more peak power, and higher RPM potential with the victor in comparison to the LS intake.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

I can believe that, I was thinking more along the lines of cast iron heads (or is that not the case there either?) which I tend to believe tend to do that, plus our intakes are dry intakes which will keep em cooler.

What kind of gaskets does the super victor/ victor jr use? I believe I see a vic intake in my future.
Fel-Pro #375-1312-5 at JEGS

Quick Reply: victor series vs FAST 102