Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox body swap...what will I be getting myself into?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox body swap...what will I be getting myself into?

I met one of the members here at a cruise-in last summer and was quite impressed by the twin turbo LS engine in his Chevelle. We got to talking and he made an LS swap sound like a piece of cake. He highly recommended this site and commented on how helpful everybody here is.

Since I cannot mess with my daily driver due to the warranty, and I have an old Fox body ('88 Cougar) sitting in a barn a few hundred miles away that's just begging for a major horsepower transplant (current engine is a wimpy 145hp 3.8 V-6), Ive been giving some serious thought to this swap.

I have been thinking this over and instinct says that purchasing a parts truck would probably be the easiest route to obtain the engine and transmission (6.0L/4L80E) that I want along with all the wiring, computers, brackets and misc parts. However, I am very limited on garage space and have no lift so I know this could be challenging to say the least.

I have done a ton of reading and searching and see that this is not an uncommon swap. I have read several interesting builds so I know there will be some fab work required, and fortunately most of the major parts can be ordered.

Sooooo, aside from the "K" member, headers, computer relocation and re-wiring, transmission cross member, radiator, front suspension & drive shaft what else will be looking at? I'm trying to draft up a mental plan of attack at this point.

One thing that I noticed is that the part sources and part numbers are scattered through a bunch of builds which got me to wondering if all these sources and part numbers are located in a single location?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it's not a cheap swap, swaps never are mine has been surprisingly easy. Very little true fabrication is needed with the right parts the swap approaches near bolt in (NA LS motor) status.

IMO if you're starting with a non v8 fox body an LS swap is just as easy as a ford v8 swap. Just the potential is much greater
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

What you named is pretty much what you need. I have a 93 coupe thats LS swapped im in the process of going turbo. Im a fan of the AJE k member it has interchangeable motor mounts. Most if not all f body acc will fit depending on what you want to run. I have a flaming river manual rack just as easy as power steering. 4L60 crossmembers are a dime a dozen if your want to go with 80 getting one fabbed up custom would be your best bet. Factory computer and harness will work also just have to clean it up depending on what you want to run, I may have mine for sale soon I have a PSI harness set up to run a 4L60 possibly going with a big stuff setup. Give me a shout Im very familiar with these cars and love them Ill be more than happy to help you out when I can.

Jose
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Does the Cougar have hydroboost like the Lincoln MkVII? Haven't looked at one in a while so I can't remember. That could be ticklish, or just require sourcing the stock stuff from a Mustang, etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Tbird has vacuum brakes. Very straight forward. The only thing is the Ford wiring harness is not friendly. Its all one piece. Does not unplug at the firewall like GM. The ECM harness is independent, its on the passenger side. Get a good schematic, check ebay for the factory Ford book. Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: Fox body swap...what will I be getting myself into?