LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.

Hello everyone I am curious if I am the only one to attempt this setup so far. I have a 96 ws6 trans am with mid length headers no cats and 3 exhaust off the y pipe to a magna flow catback to dual 3.5 out tips. The problem was it just to quiet for my tastes and it had some rasp since it didn't have cats, I wanted something that sounded meaner and better at idle. So I purchased a Slp loudmouth exhaust with a magna flow resonator in place of the loudmouth one (magna mouth). I took off my catback and slapped it on there, on first start up its quiet louder and has a nice sound to it, its a lot better then before with the quiet magna flow. It really made a difference in tone and volume going from the dual muffler at the end to a resonator in the middle. But the only downside is its a little loud in the 2100 rpm range and raspy which is the problem with setups like this, So I contacted powerstick and I am having 2 12inch body powersticks made and sent to me, I will be installing them right before the tips they will be welded, I feel this will cut down the rasp and crackle and possibly even make a difference in tone. I am excited to share my results and see your opinions on this idea, I will be adding videos of the 3 options soon, I filmed the exhaust with the magna flow catback and now I will do the magna mouth and then finally hopefully the solution and a excellent sounding exhaust with the powersticks installed backwards so the the exhaust flows into the openings before the tips.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look forward to seeing/hearing the results. Because I have a 97 TA and Im almost done with installing my new 383....... Now my issue is figuring out what exhaust to go with....Ive heard that SLP, Hooker Aero Chambers and Spintechs has the most rasp. So I think im going with true 3'' duals with dynomax bullets before the tips...... But im still open to all other options......Post vids and sound clips if possible thread visitors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Here are 2 of the three vids:
Magnaflow catback:

Magnamouth no powersticks:

Magnamouth with powersticks: I highly reccomand this to anyone thats what a nice decently loud exhaust with a rumble its perfect just right not pull me over loud and (when not wot) And not magna flow catback quiet at idle. Its the happy medium much better then a cutout in my opinion has a refined tone.

Last edited by 96firebirdowner; 01-15-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

ITs a little difficult to tell but the magna mouth defeintly is louder but it does have quiet as much of a rumble, more of a drone (farm truck sound in other words at higher rpms) Hopefully the 2 powerstick will change that
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like you said, still sounds like a truck.

I just put a 3" Hooker max Flow at the end of a L/T's catless Y pipe and single 3" pipe.

I made it bolt onto a Borla catback.

Smooth tone, no truck sound, quiet while cruising and known for flowing VERY well.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

How to insert video clip?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say much about the setup you're going to be using because I have a Borla on my Trans Am. But as for the powerstick idea I think you will love it! I Have a Silverado SS with cam, longtubes, no cats, Y pipe, into a Corsa, and out behind the passenger tire. Before the powerstick it was raspy as hell, popped on decel, and was really high pitch, made me hate the Corsa. Now that I installed the powerstick (louvers against the grain) in front of the Corsa it sounds sooo much better! No pops, no rasp, tone definitely got a lot deeper. Not to mention the guy I talked to there was easy to talk to. He answered all my questions and explained to me the difference in direction of the muffler. Made and shipped to me within a week!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it is pretty good customer service and installed against the grain does make quiet a difference, Yeah it made a major difference! Hard to tell because of the quality of camera, in both vids the car was barely revved at a full rev its sound mean as hell, like magna flow does but at idle its so much better, and when down shifting for fun it doesn't sound nearly as bad as I did before with the crackle, just a nice rumble like my old mans 73 455sd Also Vid added with the powersticks, I would like to redo it with a better mic at some point, the person was to close it messed with the mic.

Last edited by 96firebirdowner; 01-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How did you get that double din in your car?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Here is Where my inspiration came from but i wrapped mine in vinyl instead of painting https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...beat-pics.html
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96firebirdowner
Here is Where my inspiration came from but i wrapped mine in vinyl instead of painting https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...beat-pics.html
I just looked at the link. That's some clean interiors in those cars..
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Yeah you can get the interiors looking pretty sharp, my interior has the headrests done to.
Attached Thumbnails lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.-imag0433.jpg   lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.-1527068_200344980155269_687019163_n.jpg   lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.-imag0421.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deepness of the sound changed a bit but from the small amount of rpm range in your videos, they all seem to have the same sound to me. I still think the magnaflow by it self wins every time.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Yeah to each his own i an sūre the magnaflow catback sounds good with longtubes with mid length it was just to quiet for my tastes, i am considering removing the magnaflow resonator and adding ą 16 inch power stick installed against the grain to see how that would sound. I think it would make it quieter compared to the magnaflow but i am unsure i am hopeing it would make it deeper. The second optinon is the borla but they it is quieter compared to the magnaflowl

Quick Reply: lt1 Trans am Magnaflow Catback to Magnamouth catback with powersicks before tips.