LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Mods for LT1 For NHRA Street Legal Drags in CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Mods for LT1 For NHRA Street Legal Drags in CA

Ok, this has been a heated discussion.. (more like knock down drag out war) for the last 4 hours here at the ol' homestead, so I thought I'd ask here and see what all you folks say about this. I have a 96 z28 and the only thing that the first owner did was put on Flowmasters and maintained her perfectly, so what would be the best modifications to do and be able to race in the street legal category here in CA? From what I read, there can't be any mods to the engine itself, is this correct? I tried to find any thread that asked this question, and didn't find one, so if this is a repeat question, please point me in the right direction and forgive me for double posting the same question. So for those of you that are familiar with the street legal rules for both NHRA and Summit, your opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated!! We're not worried about cost, that isn't an issue. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Best Mods for LT1 For NHRA Street Legal Drags in CA-988752_557006904369750_1822365672_n.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it is legally registered is all that matters. They don't check the "legality" of your mods outside of the rules for safety.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Kimberly

"street legal" days out here in SoCal, sometimes called "test & tune" days are not NHRA "class" racing events. Just anyone who has $20 and can pass tech inspection. basically a check to look at things like the battery is secured, the radiator has a overflow tank, wheels have all lug nuts on, no excessive fluid leaks, etc. for cars running 13.999 or faster a approved helmet must be used. things like no open toed shoes or shorts. if running slicks you need a approved drive shaft safety loop. Things like that.

you can "grudge race" anyone typically by lining up behind the car you want to race and when you get to the front of the line the track person pairs you up if you tell him/her you want to grudge race.

for complete details go to a tracks website for 411 on "street legal" requirements. california speedway, Famoso, Irwindale all have (or did) street legal days

and for everything you ever wanted to know...the NHRA rulebook for class racing

http://www.highschooldragracing.org/...A_Rulebook.pdf
Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Right on! I really appreciate the information. I'd LOVE to one day have long tubes, and all the super amazing and super fast stuff, but I'm nowhere near being to that level, so I thought that street legal way was the best, and safest way to do this to start. I go out and we drag out at the fair grounds (not a drag strip, just a run down huge open area we can do this at and the local cops *all 4 of them* actually come watch us.) and I've done really well. They take me seriously there, and that means something I believe. So, this is just the beginning, but for the first time ever, I can honestly say that this is going to be my passion and will grow into something alot bigger as time, and my knowledge and experience continues to grow too. I have to admit, it sure feels pretty badass when I woop the pants off a Mustang and the dude thought it was going to be easy because I'm a chick... think again. ~.^ Thanks again folks! I really appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Stall, gears and sticky tires to start
Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Actually, ask Ed Wright, his car has stock lift cam and stock heads on a stock shortblock and he runs high 9s. None of which is actually "stock".
Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mickey Thompson ET Streets
Old 12-25-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Kim

you can mod the car to your hearts content for "Street Legal" racing. If you chose to compete in a particular class than read the rule book for that class.

for basic mods you can get lower gears (3:73) and a higher stall torque converter (2600) for a stock cam, higher if you eventually get a cam & heads. Drag radial tires or even better Mickey Thompson ET street tires will help you hook up over street tires

new valve springs (comp 918's) and 1:6 roller rockers and a PCM tune will get you noticeable power and allow the motor to rev higher.

many on this forum will offer advice and do search for 411.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am currently planning on getting my car ready for street stock class at LTX shootout. So if you want "stock" rules go by those. Get things like 1.7 roller rockers, stall, EWP, suspension, weight reduction, long tubes. They will all help a lot.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

My car is set up for street stock, mods in sig.

Quick Reply: Best Mods for LT1 For NHRA Street Legal Drags in CA