Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

small displacement TTiX turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default small displacement TTiX turbo setup

trying to understand something. seems like the small displacement engines are a bit more efficient and make great power with the TTiX

I'm doing another build and trying to decide on staying stock 346 or stepping up to a 370 LS3

goals are making around 900 rwhp. seems like that's about the limit of the LS6 block I have

going to be using a Haltech ECM with dual wide bands, and the 8 channel EGT to help with monitoring to hopefully get the tune spot on.

I'm guessing it's the "combination" of matching the turbo sizes to the displacement but I'm very curious about the "small CI" engines doing so well!

when you look and see these little buzz bomb 4 cyl engines pushing 800 HP it makes you wonder!

merry christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost is the replacement for displacement!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The only reason they appear better. Well maybe a few reasons.

When you are limited for space for a turbo, running a small turbo on a small engine at higher boost, simply places you within a more efficient part of the compressor map, so the turbo is working very well.
When you run that same turbo on a larger engine, it's pushed way off to the right on the map and the turbo spins it's little ***** off trying to keep up, and also heating the air up a lot at the same time.

yes it can work, but it isnt as efficient.

And most 4cyl's these days are multivalve engines, which are generally more efficient, and they thrive on rpm's, and power happens at rpm's

But of course the smaller engines do lack torque, and arent that great at lower rpm's All relatively speaking of course. They tend to be in lighter vehicles with gearing better suited to the power delivery available.

but absolutely, you do not need a huge engine to make serious amounts of power with boost. And if you cannot get a large enough turbo onto it, it could very well be a negative having a larger engine.

Just dont be afraid to run boost. But also dont go mega high on the CR if you are doing that. Boost doesnt kill engines, detonation does

Quick Reply: small displacement TTiX turbo setup