Notices

Need an interior part

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an interior part

Just traded my daily driver 37 Chevy HotRod truck for a 72,000 mile 1997 Formula Firebird with the factory optioned Bandit ll package and lots of chassis performance upgrades and performance upgrades from Arizona Speed and Marine including headers, Ignition, 2 1/2" chambered exhaust, Mass Air Flow Sensor, and Cold air induction and throttle body. Original paint without a nick in it and immaculate interior except for a cracked dash top for which I am going to order a plastic patch top. The panel under the glove compartment has a broken latch on the side next to the console and I have restored a lot of cars over the years but I have Googled until my finger is worn out. First what is the technical name for this part and does anyone know if it is being reproduced? Also can a true dual exhaust be put under the car, it has headers and a new exhaust which has a terrible rattle on the right side. I have Parkinson's Desease and can't bend over or look under the car.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Landspeed Racer
Just traded my daily driver 37 Chevy HotRod truck for a 72,000 mile 1997 Formula Firebird with the factory optioned Bandit ll package and lots of chassis performance upgrades and performance upgrades from Arizona Speed and Marine including headers, Ignition, 2 1/2" chambered exhaust, Mass Air Flow Sensor, and Cold air induction and throttle body. Original paint without a nick in it and immaculate interior except for a cracked dash top for which I am going to order a plastic patch top. The panel under the glove compartment has a broken latch on the side next to the console and I have restored a lot of cars over the years but I have Googled until my finger is worn out. First what is the technical name for this part and does anyone know if it is being reproduced? Also can a true dual exhaust be put under the car, it has headers and a new exhaust which has a terrible rattle on the right side. I have Parkinson's Desease and can't bend over or look under the car.
Thanks
I do not know to what you are referring, can you point it out on this diagram?

As for true duals they can be put on, but they hang low. If you go to the Generation III External Engine section and look under the sticky threads you'll find the True Dual FAQs thread. Lots of info and pics in there. I had some Texas Speed true duals on my old 99 Z28 and I liked the sound, but didn't like how I scraped over every little thing. The under body of these cars were not made to accommodate true duals from the factory.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I do not know to what you are referring, can you point it out on this diagram?

[img]https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BrightRed93Z28/93-99InstrumentPanelPart01_zps44ebda65.jpg[/img

r true duals they can be put on, but they hang low. If you go to the Generation III External Engine section and look under the sticky threads you'll find the True Dual FAQs thread. Lots of info and pics in there. I had some Texas Speed true duals on my old 99 Z28 and I liked the sound, but didn't like how I scraped over every little thing. The under body of these cars were not made to accommodate true duals from the factory.
It looks like is part number 15 and it looks as if the two clips are separate items. I don't know if the clip can be installed to my panel. It broke off clean on the console side and there is no tab there just a straight plastic edge. Also in the picture it appears there is a pocket or attachment to the backside of the panel. It appears there is a part number for the clip on the right and left.
Thanks about the info on the exhaust system the car already sits lower than my 98 Corvette and if the second exhaust would not fit up to where the bottom would not hang any lower than the bottom of the ground effects it would drag every time you pulled off the highway. I special ordered a 93 Z/28 and deleted the power windows, doors and seats and added the G92 Performance Package and I thought I remembered it having dual exhaust.
Thanks for the help
Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Moving to Parts Wanted.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does this part sit under the passenger side glove box ? their is a 96 firebird at the junk yard and I can get it for you. I took one off for a friend that has a 96 Camaro. the right side slides behind the kicker panel, the top left goes into the clip that is attached to vehicle, and bottom left has a separate clip that comes off. You might need the removable clip. If this sounds right let me know. I will check to see if the 96-97 is different under there like the top is different.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Teching In

If the 96 is the same as a 97 I would like to have it. The dash and interior panels are a dark grey almost black. I will give you my email address if that is okay and let me know if you think it will work and I appreciate your help.
Send to :garrellpatterson@bellsouth.net
Thanks
Garrell
Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you need the entire panel with clips or just the clips ? I have two big gashes one on each hand I got today. And I will not be doing any part removal for awhile. Go to ebay and contact firehawkjeff. That is his user name. He has every Firebird and Camaro part. I contacted him last night looking for a billet grill and he returned message. His company is Trans Am creations. He used to be located here in Florida but is now in Alabama.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks and sorry about the cuts and hope they heal well and quickly.
Garrell

Quick Reply: Need an interior part