Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS fuel system swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS fuel system swap

This has probably been beat like a dead horse for a long time on here. Couldnt find any real good list of part numbers in any of the stickys.

I am looking to see if maybe somebody might have a part number list for the fuel lines and fittings for an LS1 swap.

I have a 1998 F-body 6 speed that I am putting in a 1968 El Camino.

I would really like to reuse my tank and modify it with a sump. External Walbro and Corvette fuel pressure regulator etc.

The darn fittings are so expensive. Really dont want to order a bunch and have problems returning what I dont use.

Also ran across an interesting link a while ago that a guy had used the plastic lines from a junk yard to plumb the fuel lines. Might that be something to consider?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the sumpped external mounted fuel pump when I bought my car. It worked great but it was noisy as heck! I now have a 4th gen pump, recessed in a new 2nd gen tank. I'm using the OEM fuel pressure regulator from the 4th gen bucket. In my opinion, that is the way to go....quiet, reliable, and I have run it down to 1/8 a tank with no issues. I used the vetteworks kit...but you could easily make one your self. Check out my build link in my sig.

Welcome to the site! I love el caminos!

Leon
Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by reedld
I had the sumpped external mounted fuel pump when I bought my car. It worked great but it was noisy as heck! I now have a 4th gen pump, recessed in a new 2nd gen tank. I'm using the OEM fuel pressure regulator from the 4th gen bucket. In my opinion, that is the way to go....quiet, reliable, and I have run it down to 1/8 a tank with no issues. I used the vetteworks kit...but you could easily make one your self. Check out my build link in my sig.

Welcome to the site! I love el caminos!

Leon
Leon:

Your car looks awesome. I have had a few of those in the past. I have a running/driving 98 trans am that is wrecked. I am putting that driveline in my 68 El Camino. You gave me an idea to take my fuel pump and graft it into my El Camino tank.

Thanks
Pete
Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1929chev
The darn fittings are so expensive. Really dont want to order a bunch and have problems returning what I dont use.

If you want ease of returns, go with jegs or summit for the fittings. You may get too many, but just hang on to the receipt and anything you don't use, keep in the original container and unopened. Jegs told me I had a year to return the wheels I bought for my S-10. He told me the box being opened is fine, but you cant have mounted anything to them. Heck, I barely took the wrapping off them!

Their fittings may be a bit more expensive, but worth the peace of mind in my book for returns when trying to figure something out.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I did a combination of hard lines and stainless braided on both my swaps. If I ever do another or need to fix mine, I'll go with OEM plastic lines, nylon fittings. It's about 1/3 the price of any other solution and is used on every car on the roads these days. Dorman sells a kit that probably has enough line and fittings to do 2 cars.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ironically I was just having this conversation with a friend who wants to convert his car. I think the AN fittings and steel braided line are a waste of money. I've successfully used steel lines I bent, steel lines the factory bent and OEM style nylon tubing I crimped myself with no failures on several daily driven vehicles. For the price of AN fittings alone, I can typically run lines across an entire car - and still haven't purchased the hose!

My route isn't the prettiest, but it's not far from what GM did which is proven to work. If you want pretty, there are ways to spice things up a bit but I'm usually working on a budget and function comes first.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

gofast & gary:

Thanks for the supportive comments. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I think the plastic lines and OEM type of fittings would be fine. I saw a complete repair kit at Advanced/Autozone if something were ever to fail.
I plan on the car being a summer driver. We do travel quite a bit. It would be great to know that you are able to pick up any sort of a repair item at either a dealer or parts store.

Thanks
pete
1929chev

Quick Reply: LS fuel system swap