Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

v1/v2 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v1/v2 build

I already know what the short answer is... but realistically is it cost effective to build a first gen? Problem is im already into it around 6 grand. Kooks, corsa, alradco radiator, all revshift mounts and bushings, McLeod clutch n fly wheel, intake and tune. Looking at doing a rear end swap and engine build. I know a 2nd gen is a better platform. But im not going to get much for my car so just changing to a 2nd gen is gonna cost me 20k. Plus whatever mods I then do. For the money I could do a 8.8 swap and a bad *** custom fi build and be better off right?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Teching In

So I guess my question is, cut my losses n trade in? Or do I have enough invested already to go ahead and drop another 20k and have a bad *** 700hp 6 speed car for what it would cost me to get a 2nd gen...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

04-05 06-07? I think you can do a v1 and still make good power. Definitely can make some good power with FI. It definitely wont be cheap, oh and i would just go with a fuel cell and get a good fuel system instead of playing with the stock fuel tank that's what ill be doing right in the spare tire compartment. Mines not gona be a daily
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by omar2guy
04-05 06-07? I think you can do a v1 and still make good power. Definitely can make some good power with FI. It definitely wont be cheap, oh and i would just go with a fuel cell and get a good fuel system instead of playing with the stock fuel tank that's what ill be doing right in the spare tire compartment. Mines not gona be a daily
Yeah thats what I was thinking. An 8.8 swap sell the ls6 and then I still have another 15k to spend on a tt/engine build for what it would cost just to get a second gen. I work construction so I dont daily mine. 05 btw. But if I plan on motor and rear swap I dont think it maters much right?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I'm doing a iron block swap on mine just cause I bought my car as a roller and already relocated the fuse block where the battery was. I was thinking about going with twins but I think I'm just going to go with a 76mm since I'm going with a small cube motor
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost wise, it will really depend on what you plan on doing to a V2. With everything I've done to my V1 (purchase price included) I'm still in it less than the cost of a V2.

Also, V1 vs V2 auto is no comparison while a modded V1 vs V2 manual is very close. I personally feel your dollar can go a lot further with a V1 at the moment.

Last edited by DMM; 12-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above, what do you want to do with it? Fun daily driver, drag strip, autox/road coarses.. And how much do you want out of it? How long do you realistically want to keep it? you loose your *** on mods when you sell, where a V2 will probably still do ok value wise for a little while.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Build the V1...that's what I opted for instead of selling mine, you already have a decent set of mods so you have a good starting block. Plus if you sell the ls6 you can recoup some money.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
As stated above, what do you want to do with it? Fun daily driver, drag strip, autox/road coarses.. And how much do you want out of it? How long do you realistically want to keep it? you loose your *** on mods when you sell, where a V2 will probably still do ok value wise for a little while.
Right now I just drive it to the store or friends house mostly on weekends. But this summer I want to go to the track n try out some auto x and strip. I realize the automatic is a big advantage for the strip but its not enough to justify the money for a change. I want a cool 700+hp toy that I can still drive around town. I realize the ls6 isnt gonna get there. And everyones initial response is to upgrade to a v2. But given what im already into my car is that really cose effective for me. For the money it would cost to change to a v2 I should be able to swap a 8.8 and build a better motor right? Or at least build a motor that would be better than the difference + v2 boltons...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Im working 6 days a week. And making pretty good money. So all I want to do on my day off is lay around, drink beer, watch football and fantasize about what to do to my car... lol
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

An 8.8" isn't necessarily needed for auto-X. I'd get a GenIV Diff and decent axles for sure, but that's all really. After stating your intentions, mod the V1 for sure. I'd keep my eye open for a used motor (another guy on here SN "Lil-Jon" recently totaled his car and will be selling his custom sleeved 427, for example) to keep costs down and actually enjoy the build and the finished product.

In all honesty, if you're smart about it and are not in a hurry, and do things in stages, I think you'll spend about half (or less) than you are expecting.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 253ctsv
Right now I just drive it to the store or friends house mostly on weekends. But this summer I want to go to the track n try out some auto x and strip. I realize the automatic is a big advantage for the strip but its not enough to justify the money for a change. I want a cool 700+hp toy that I can still drive around town. I realize the ls6 isnt gonna get there. And everyones initial response is to upgrade to a v2. But given what im already into my car is that really cose effective for me. For the money it would cost to change to a v2 I should be able to swap a 8.8 and build a better motor right? Or at least build a motor that would be better than the difference + v2 boltons...
The hard thing is that AutoX and the strip require completely different cars. An automatic at autox is not really preferred.

The v1 is nice for AutoX because it is a lot lighter and smaller (ok still a huge heavy car in Autox terms either way)

If you really want 700hp that would be fun to drive daily, take to the strip, and have fun at Autox, but know it wont be competitive, i think the V2 is probably a much better starting point. It would be a fun track day car too, the size and weight seems to be less of an issue on open tracks, especially when you have the power to hustle around the tracks.

I guess to me it seems like sinking a bunch of money into the V1 does not get you a lot of return if you total it/sell it later, where you pay more to get a V2, but it is still a newer car with a higher value, and less money in bolt-ons in it...

But really it sounds like a toss-up for what you want to do.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. Im not trying to win anything, just have a nice fun car thats unique unlike mustangs and Camaros. I like when people ask what kind of car I have and when I say "a ctsv" they say "whats that?". And if a srt8 or honda or mustang happens to roll up next to me on my way to the store (on a closed track) I want to be able to walk away from them...
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 253ctsv
And if a srt8 or honda or mustang happens to roll up next to me on my way to the store (on a closed track) I want to be able to walk away from them...
lol no need to mod it to accomplish that...
Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN_V

lol no need to mod it to accomplish that...
Yeah. The new srt8 is like 470hp. And im not talking about the v6 mustang with the pony package lol
Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For 20k you could do an all extras included 8.8 swap and trot down to your local Chevy dealer and buy a crate ls7 and drop in it. You might even have a few bucks left over for sway bars, coilovers etc etc....

This would, in theory, give you the same basic performance potential as a v2 (505hp vs 556, 3800lbs vs 4200lbs) and have the added bonus of not being as complicated.....no supercharger, no magnetic shocks etc etc....the less complicated it is, the cheaper it will be to beat on in the long run.

My conclusion.....An ls7 powered V1 would be overall superior performance package to a v2 because it isn't as fat.

Why not build a motor? I've been doing this a long time and I've had mixed results with engine builders and aftermarket parts compatibility. I would put more faith in a GM crate motor than any engine builder I have easy access to.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep the V1. I see at least 3 or 4 v2s every week around where I live. But I only very very rarely ever see another v1. I'm going to keep mine for a while (although someone almost t-boned me and changed that). I want to do an 8.8 and either swap the motor or FI the LS6. It may be a while for me but I'll get it done eventually.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for every dime you poor into a v1 you arent getting back. the resale on it drops further and when the v comes out we will be keeping our cars because they would be hard to sell. Also i think a manual v2 vs a v1 is no contest in all around vehicle off and on a track.

you can mod both, maybe do it easier with the v2. mod prices are close to the same for both. it all depends on if you have the extra money to buy a v2 over keeping your v1.

Both vehicles are a bit large for autox, i had fun doing it but its a big girl out on a miata sized track
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

If I ever planned on selling my car I probably would have bought a classic muscle car. The value of a v2 will depreciate too so it seems like a waste to build that from a resale standpoint when I can build a car thats 20k cheaper. I appreciate the feedback. Im not sure a crate motor is for me because id like more hp. Heads cam intake and tb would probably have me over the 500hp crank mark. Thats why im thinking build a forced induction motor.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

If its a car you will keep forever then it wouldnt be as bad to build the 1st gen. If you have 45k in the car you might get 20k back out of it 2 years from now. You can have a reliable 650rwhp V2 for around 50k if you find the right car to start out with. With an auto you wont need to touch the trans or rear besides doing a converter. Heads/cam/long tubes/converter and ported blower would be a fast car in a lot more refined chassis.

Quick Reply: v1/v2 build