Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM A-Body aftermarket seat height improvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default GM A-Body aftermarket seat height improvement

I made a change today that made a drastic difference in the enjoyment of cruising in my Skylark. I changed the height of my aftermarket Pro-Car seats.

When I got my car, I noticed that the factory bench had a pretty high seating position. My head was less than an inch from the headliner and I am not that tall. So, when I ordered my aftermarket bucket seats, I was hoping they would sit lower in the car. Well, they didn't. The Pro-Car model 90s had about the same seating height. That is to say, high. I never noticed this problem in the 68-72 GM A-bodies. But it sure was a problem in my 65. I am wondering if most 64-67s are the same.

When my older brother came to visit, he was anxious to ride in the car. He is 6'-6". The first thing he said when he got in was "you have got to be kidding me". Then he reclined the seat to East LA position for the rest of the ride.

So, yesterday I pulled the seats and cut the mounting brackets down 1 1/4". This was about as much as could be cut out of them. Once that was done, I went out for a ride. I was caught by surprise as to how much of a difference it made in the overall experience. I now feel like I am riding "in" the car instead of "on" the car. It is easier to get in and out and I also have a clearer view of the instrumentation. Overall a huge improvement. I actually cruised all day just enjoying the new feel.

So, when you are installing new seats in your ride. Consider the height of the seat. It may influence your cruising experience more than you think.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger

So, when you are installing new seats in your ride. Consider the height of the seat. It may influence your cruising experience more than you think.
Excellent point. I think Mark Stielow said, "use your daily driver as a reference for setting up your hot rod." I am happy with the SS buckets in the Chevelle, but will be replacing the bench seat in my 71 Nova with some late 200? bucket seats out of a GM vehicle and will keep your tip in mind.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the factory seats (65 GTO buckets) in my car. I did install a smaller diameter stearing wheel to help clear my gut. It might be posible to cut down on the seat supports to gain some head room. I will look into it and thanks for the information/idea.

Quick Reply: GM A-Body aftermarket seat height improvement