Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure issue

I've been trying to get oil pressure on my 6.0 tt t/a. I replaced the red o-ring and made sure the restrictor was in the back of the block. With all that I still don't have oil pressure.

Now I do have a filter relocation kit and I have pulled the lines off. When cranking on the motor I get a little oil from the filter adapter but nothing to the remote filter. I pulled the Oil galley plug just beside the oil pump on the driver side and oil gushed out while cranking the motor over. I'm wondering if maybe my oil pump relief spring isn't installed (maybe I got one that was accidentally left out). That's the only thing I can think that would cause this.

Any ideas guys?
I've pumped oil into the top of the motor via oil sending unit hole. I't will build pressure, 20lbs with a hand pump.

I never checked the Melling pump when I bought to see if the spring was installed.
I'm baffled!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is the Melling and is it the 296? I have heard stories of failure right out of the box with them. (I know, hearsay, so helpful right?) I don't know how likely it is that they left out the spring entirely, but it may have been a bad spring to begin with.

Maybe try the blue o-ring?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Launching!

I think the blue was on it before, I just switched to red.. It was a tight fit.. Lubed it up with grease to make installation easier. Let me search and see what oil pump I received. It's just weird that I can see it moving the oil, that is what makes me think maybe the spring is out. I remember while the engine was on the stand being built, I tried pulling the spring plug out to see which spring was in there..... I couldn't break it free.. almost stripped the allen plug out.. I don't know if I'll be able to get the plug off or not....I hope I can.

EDIT: Found the oil pump. 296 bought in 2011. Installed around xmas that year

Last edited by Adam123; 12-30-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Found the oil pump
Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam123
I think the blue was on it before, I just switched to red.. It was a tight fit.. Lubed it up with grease to make installation easier. Let me search and see what oil pump I received. It's just weird that I can see it moving the oil, that is what makes me think maybe the spring is out. I remember while the engine was on the stand being built, I tried pulling the spring plug out to see which spring was in there..... I couldn't break it free.. almost stripped the allen plug out.. I don't know if I'll be able to get the plug off or not....I hope I can.

EDIT: Found the oil pump. 296 bought in 2011. Installed around xmas that year
That may be your problem there. Even with the truck pickup tube (I'm assuming you're running a truck 6.0) the o-ring should just drop right onto the tube and rest in the middle, then gets pushed down when the pump is put on.

The stock truck o-ring is the green one, if it is a truck motor. Not sure if Melling requires the red one though.

They also include 2 springs IIRC; do you remember which one you used? I'd suggest shimming it, but shimming probably wouldn't find pressure where there is none, only increase existing pressure.

Last edited by fruitsalad; 12-30-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible you pinched the O-Ring since it was tight to go on. If so.. Air is leaking into the system pre-pump and not allowing a vacuum to be established and therefore not sucking up the oil. Just another area to consider.

It also seem to me.. that anything these Gen III/IV motors sit around, they have a hard time getting the oil pressure on startup. Many have resorted to many things.. over filling, tilting the Car/Engine to get the oil to flow up and into the pump.

I usually will fill/pack the pump with Gear oil or some heavy oil/grease, some have even used Vaseline packed in the pump on build up.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Launching!

I have over filled, 2.5 gallons total.. that there puts the oil level above the o-ring. I'm almost 100 percent certain I didn't pinch the o-ring. I was as gentle as possible. That is why I used grease...lots to install it. I'm going to take off my oil relocation and put a regular filter on it, change plugs then restart it.

I bought a new restrictor to install and clear that part up.. I know it's in there but maybe the machinist forgot to put the o-ring on it..

First the relocation kit and plugs then the restrictor and if still no pressure I'll check the oil pump spring/ relief valve and o-ring (again). If still none I'll replace the oil pump.

I know of no other ways to figure this out.... Only other thing I can think of is if there is a crack in one of the oil passages. The block was supposed to be tested but who knows..

Update ya'll tomorrow with progress/problems. Thank all of you for your help.

Quick Reply: oil pressure issue