Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

BACK IN (V2) BLACK, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BACK IN (V2) BLACK, a few questions

Picked up my new (to me) 2010 BR 4-dr 6-spd V2 (Coupe ain't me-got a C6, manual was a must) a few weeks ago,,, V2 ROCKS, great condition, no mods, paint=9, interior=10, RECAROS , every option including suede wheel and metal pedals, 24k on clock, new Hankooks, ultra roof is getting 2x Limo Tint.
I owned a 2005 V for 6 years, some may recall, was a beast, 510RWH/560RWT (exactly 1 and 1/4 runs at Moroso, second run was total carnage), built 383 w/Maggie and AFR 225s, mild cam and every other performance and appearance mod available except rear diff upgrade---> which is why I sold.

The V2 is AWESOME, hugh difference, I hope the drivetrain is bullet-proof, as once I finish my C6, the V2 is getting my mod money.

Two days after purchase, already swapped a soon-to-be-retunred-lease with some parts, should be at 625bhp with tune, looking to get to 800RWHP soon with the stock motor, will definitely do H/C and more once I research.

Just a few questions:
1) Anyone have the stockers widened on a sedan, if so, who did the work, Weldcraft, what was specs on all fours, new size tires-please confirm no rubbing, what was cost and turnaround
2) Any DIYers use Plasti Dip, or something similar, for grills, frames, side vents, side window frames and dumbarse chrome strip over the license plate, I want to black-out everything and need to know the ease of application, satisfaction and duration of Plasti Dip, paint and others
3) Fuel Economy-SUCKS, my V1 got about 12mpg on my angry days, I can live with the V2 at +/-13mpg, but DAMN still sucks compared to my C6 at 650+HP getting 29mpg in 6th,,, anyone do e85 Conversion, I realize fuel economy loss vs. 25% less cost vs. Premium is a wash, but what were HP gains

Also, check out my C6 build thread in LS1Tech Corvettes, it is almost done, capable of 1,500HP but will start with +/-1,200 to test the drivetrain, just needs Engine Management and hopefully by summer it can get in a few runway runs.

Last edited by onebadcad; 12-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Durability on Plasti-Dip is fair-to-good. The big thing to watch is the way it fades to a dark grey. I would have the grille blasted and powdercoated with a 33-39% gloss (matte) black. For the plastic surround (I'm about to do this myself), try having a professional paint shop strip it and paint it gloss black with three layers of clear coat.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the pickup. I always like to hear what V2 owners say about the MPG because most do not talk about or don't like to talk about it. While both V1 and V2 get crap having fun in the city I can find country twisty roads and be playing with the gears a lot and still get about 18-19mpg with my car overall for an hour long joy ride, and 25mpg on highway. The V2 kicks *** but it would irritate me to be sucking so much gas/mod money down the pipes... I know for a lot of V2 owners that is chump change though.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MN_V
I know for a lot of V2 owners that is chump change though.
Never Chump Change to me, shiatty fuel economy impacts my Mod Budget!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Love the V2's, congrats. I plasti dipped the rims on my dirt bike and it held up perfect for like a year. Road through the dirt, mud, and water then power washed after every ride. I think it has lots to do with how well you prep and paint whatever you're about to plasti dip.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E85 is amazing. Don't fool yourself and say your doing it because it's cheaper that premium... Do it because you get like 20% more power
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

E85 is amazing. Don't fool yourself and say your doing it because it's cheaper that premium... Do it because you get like 20% more power.

Economical fuel consumption is over rated anyways.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good to have you back and i do remember your badass v1.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man its been a while. You were around when I first got my V I believe.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Yea I made the cardinal sin of being a V1 owner and driving a friends V2, (2010 sedan, black, Recaros, auto) first one I have been in also.

Wow what a machine. Really no comparison, so much tighter and lighter feeling, I thought, but it was much newer, and only 28k miles, but that motor pulls forever, great brakes, and I did not think the auto would be fun, but it was quite fun, got me thinking when I swap, might just try the auto thing.

Just my 02.

Congrats.

Mike
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

WELCOME BACK ONEBAD!!!! Its been a minute and glad to see you are back!!! Make sure to checkout my pages below!!! Lets see what you can pull out of the V2 once you are ready to dig into her... Need updated Texas Mile times asap! haha
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome back, i think many of those vents you can buy predone in cf if i recall. the mod potential and still have a tame dd 4 door is huge
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Just a few questions:
1) Anyone have the stockers widened on a sedan, if so, who did the work, Weldcraft, what was specs on all fours, new size tires-please confirm no rubbing, what was cost and turnaround
I have not seen or heard of the stock wheels being widen...

Widest wheel that can really go on the rear of a sedan is 10.5" and a 305 tire. Any wider than that, and you will need to do some rear end modifications. And you can fit a 305 on the stock sedan wheel, even though it is a pain...so most guys I have seen will either stick the 305 on the stock wheel, buy coupe rears, or get a drag pack.

Weld has a 17"x10.5" rears that fits the V sedan, and 18"x5" front runners.

2) Any DIYers use Plasti Dip, or something similar, for grills, frames, side vents, side window frames and dumbarse chrome strip over the license plate, I want to black-out everything and need to know the ease of application, satisfaction and duration of Plasti Dip, paint and others
My side vents and grille trim (not the mesh) is painted White Diamond.

My wheels are dipped, and they hold very well...especially for a cost of $6 can (1 per wheel). I have had to touch them up a couple time, but that is after several long road trips through to very car unfriendly roads. On the front end of the car, I have my the center of my crest dipped white pearl, and I have only have to redo it once...and that was because I messed it up the first time I coated it.

I have seen guys selling Black Chrome grilles, side vents, and just about anything else chrome on the car...along with some Carbon Fiber options...

3) Fuel Economy-SUCKS, my V1 got about 12mpg on my angry days, I can live with the V2 at +/-13mpg, but DAMN still sucks compared to my C6 at 650+HP getting 29mpg in 6th,,, anyone do e85 Conversion, I realize fuel economy loss vs. 25% less cost vs. Premium is a wash, but what were HP gains
In Stock form, I got 17-18 at 75mph...after throwing some mods and a good tune it will get 20-21 at 75mph.

When I daily drove the V while I was living in Texas, I would average 215-225 miles a tank (14 to 15 gallons per fill up) with 50/50 cty/hwy...so 13 to 15 mpg with mostly normal driving on the tank. Now that the V is only a weekend car, I will go my 180 miles on a tank.

These car respond VERY wheel to E85. There is even a FlexFuel Conversion Kit out there now. My car is on a 91 Octane tune making 15 pounds, and just getting an E85 tune I would be near 630 at the wheel with no other changes.

Edit: Join this site (www.ctsvowners.com) ...a lot of V2 information on there, along with Vendors that sell a lot of good stuff for us.

And here is the thread that shows various mods, dynos, conditions, and power outputs. LINK

Last edited by ColeGraham; 01-02-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I plasti dipped everything from the grill to the vents on my V1 and V2, very durable.

Quick Reply: BACK IN (V2) BLACK, a few questions