Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted LS1 lives short life! Bearing/Motor failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted LS1 lives short life! Bearing/Motor failure

Hello. I had a builder assemble my engine and do all of my machine work locally. From day one of this build the oil pressure would drop under load a little. (See video:
) I searched for issues and I thought it was due to my mcleod RXT clutch being installed with an adjustable master cylinder. I talked to McLeod and they said it's possible but unlikely. So I continued to drive it, changing oil VERY frequently. Well, on my last oil change, I found a lot of gold in my oil and tore open the filter and there was a lot of gold dust. So I changed everything, checked it the next day after driving 5 miles, no dust. I was going to get the car to a friend of mines shop to take off the oil pan and check what's going on. Here is pictures
pic1
pic2 - pic3 - pic4 -
This was a stock crank, with clevite 77 H series bearings. The rods looked okay except got some contamination from the other bearing coming off: pic5

So, my question is.. What could have happened? I've talked to a few people and it seems as if the issues are due to improper clearances.. But the builder assures they were correct.
This engine had around 1000 of very easy miles, except for about 10 dyno runs.
The car made awesome power, 765rwhp and 898rwtq.
Is it possible that the crank flexed or bent?
The motor is coming out on Thursday and the builder requests I bring it to him, but he's telling me he's not going to cover anything, and it's not his fault (He's yet to see it though)

Would love for people with experience to chime in.
Videos of car running:
note: They didn't build the engine.
mobile version
You hear no knock
(Only injector pulse)
Car running on street:
disappearing in mexico
Attached Thumbnails Boosted LS1 lives short life! Bearing/Motor failure-20131231_132212.jpg  

Last edited by justinkp; 12-31-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

HOLY PICS SIZE BATMAN

Seriously, resize them.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

But you can look at them better when they're enlarged. Lol..
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through a issue very similar and it was due to the line bore on my block being off. Other issue could be a bent crank have them both checked. If your builder is sure the clearances were good then one of the two above will be your problem.

If the line bore is bad it will be cheaper to find a new block by the time the machine work is done and you find a line bore timing chain for a LS( good luck with that) you will have more money into than just replacing the block and swapping internals.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

It was put together incorrectly if it did it from day one. Or it was put together correctly but tolerances were not checked properly before assembly. Either way you should have taken it directly back to him the first day.

If you payed to have it built top to bottom and it wasn't, I sure as hell wouldn't take it back to the guy. If you brought him an engine and only paid for assembly without checking all the tolerances then I'd say it's not his fault.

Stinks either way! This happens all the time. Happened to me a few times. Get a JY 5.3 motor and slap it in yourself.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 01-01-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

I see. The machine shop and the builder is the same person here. He put the entire motor together expect valve covers intake and oil pan. Why should I have checked it? I assumed his work was good. Why tear apart a motor that had been built? And I honestly don't think he did a line bore and just measured it out. I did call him from day one and said my pressure is dropping to 35lbs at hot idle and is dropping under load. He said its no problem, he built it loose. Run thicker oil. And that's what I did... So I'm at fault for something he did incorrectly? (Assuming that is in fact the issue)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He wants you to bring the motor back to him but he doesn't want to cover anything. That just doesn't sound right.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screwed You! If Your Oil PRessure Was Dropping Like That From Day One Then He Did Not Properly Assemble Your Engine. Get The Caps Off It And Get Some Pics.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

I have some pics. He said that there was no warranty, and he will help me out on machine work and reassemble it and "help me out" but there was no warranty. He said he told me not to run an aluminum block with this much boost (which he didn't, and other people do it, why can't I?) -- He said he wants to see it to find the failure, and we will tear it down "together" -- It seems I already know the issue, but wanted others with experience to chime in. I've looked at clevites site with bearing issues, and it looks close to the picture with the "out of round" journal. He didn't turn the crank, he had it done by another place that does ONLY crankshafts around here.. I feel they most likely got it right. It makes me sick knowing I had so much money in this motor, and wanted everything perfect, and then this happens.. I already have another builder lined up and is waiting on me to get it to him, but I'm going to take it back to the original builder / machinist and see if he possibly will pay for parts or pay for machining from another shop. If not, that's fine. I'll cry and have learned my lesson. Check even after someone who has a good reputation!

Last edited by justinkp; 01-01-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: sounded rude
Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Same exact problem here...pulling motor in the next few weeks
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first off screw that guy, if he said he wasnt at fault here is what i would have done find the best ls based shop in your area and take it there,have them see if the issue is his work, then get a repair quote from them , and take it right to that jerkoff, if you have a motor built the last thing you should have is oil pressure problems from the first start, now if he isnt at fault hey **** happens , but you pay for a built motor thats not something you should have an issue with, thats just my outlook on it,of course you take it back to him he isnt going to say he fd up , he will make some other reason on why it failed, imo get it fixed somewhere else ,if he was at fault take his *** to small claims court or something,good luck man
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by justinkp
He said its no problem, he built it loose. Run thicker oil.
Here is your problem - you don't build these engines "loose" - this in not an old school SBC.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nocooler
Here is your problem - you don't build these engines "loose" - this in not an old school SBC.

that is not true...
there is no issue with building an Lsx Loose

the LS motor is just a SBF...LS heads will bolt right up to a SBF with some minor modifications for the pushrod holes and some coolant passageway mods...

the engine itself is not anything new or special....
theres nothing special about building it other than if you have an aluminum block you have to do your clearances different than an iron block...

it sounds to me like he may have used clearances for an iron block(which doesnt expand as much as an aluminum block)

the drop in oil pressure when you have a load on the engine tells me the clearances were off
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Wow! I didn't know that (that it was similar to SBF) .. I thought about taking him to small claims court but all he has to say is he has no money.. and i'm out even more money.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
that is not true...
there is no issue with building an Lsx Loose

the LS motor is just a SBF...LS heads will bolt right up to a SBF with some minor modifications for the pushrod holes and some coolant passageway mods...

the engine itself is not anything new or special....
theres nothing special about building it other than if you have an aluminum block you have to do your clearances different than an iron block...

it sounds to me like he may have used clearances for an iron block(which doesnt expand as much as an aluminum block)

the drop in oil pressure when you have a load on the engine tells me the clearances were off
Exactly. I'm running more clearance than most would advise and mine carries 50 lbs pressure at hot idle. I believe sound engineer hit it on the head he likely used iron block tolerances on an aluminum block. Ask him what clearance the mains had.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through the same issue. Had a guy build me a 370. Told him I was going to boost it. 500km into it I did some 5000rpm pulls and lost oil pressure. So he told me leave the shortblock together and I will tear it down (which he ended up charging me for)

He first blammed it on the heads being dirty etc. I explained he hot tanked them and milled them, then he blammed it on over fueling. Explained it was tuned 11.7 etc. He said no way to rich, you washed the rings out blah blah.

Either way ended up costing me another 1500ish for new bearings/rings and assembly.

Which at that point I lost all interest and parted the car out. Which now leaves me at building a JY 4.8L setup, since I dont feel like spinning a bearing in another 6K motor.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'm definitely not going to part it out. I'm hoping my rings are salvageable as well as the cam. he didn't do a line bore which I think is what the issue is. Going to get a new crank, line bore, and bearings, and hope that's it. We'll see here in a few days. Motor is out of the car now though. And my afr was around 11, but the bearings are in no way contaminated with fuel. I contacted clevite and they suspect it was an issue due to the line bore being off or not correct balancing.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Check your bearing clearances and thrust clearances and let us know!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"He put the entire motor together expect valve covers intake and oil pan."

When you take it down, pay attention to the pickup o'ring.........
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

This is part of the reason I like doing the whole junkyard build.. I've had better luck with a used engine and just throwing a few parts at it than I have had with machine shops..

Quick Reply: Boosted LS1 lives short life! Bearing/Motor failure