LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 issues - cranks and pops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 issues - cranks and pops.

I'm familiar with LS engines but I have never messed with an LT1 before. I picked up a '96 Camaro about 5 months ago. It has 133,000 miles and according to the previous owner (who is also the original owner) said it started having low oil pressure issues. He thought there may have been an issue with the factory gauge so he hooked up an aftermarket gauge under the hood. He said it was also reading low oil pressure (around 15psi). He told me that he parked it for a day or two, went out to start it up again and it just cranked and occasionally popped/backfired but would not start. It had a new opti installed at 115k (have receipt).

I have had this car sitting in my garage since I picked it up, haven't messed with it once since I planned on putting a 6.0 in it. I had a new battery sitting on the shelf and thought I'd try starting it myself for ***** & giggles and just like he told me, it cranks and pops. It's got me thinking, could the opti be shot again? Should the oil psi issue concern me? maybe it needs new bearings? oil pump?

I only ask because maybe it's something simple. Just trying to get some advice before I rip the engine/trans out and junk it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The backfiring/popping is usually a timing issue. Either badly adjusted valves, rotor on opti has become loose or the plug wires are not in their correct locations. Start with the easiest thing first and check to make sure all plug wires are routed to their correct plugs. You can find out all the info you need here:
www.shbox.com

Quick Reply: LT1 issues - cranks and pops.