Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best alternator for ls swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best alternator for ls swap?

I'm working on a 5.3 that's going in a bmw... i have my ls1 intake on l99 water pump in the mail. now my next thing is the alternator plan on using spaced out oem f body mount. but seems to be lots of confusion about what alternator to use some with one wire some 2 or 3 or 4. i don't have a harness yet will probably order a custom harness. but not sure whats the best alternator to go with? i will be using the truck pcm also.

thanks jeremy
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Teching In

DR44G is the only way to go, 1 cable from the rear lug to your battery and your done, its internaly regulated at 13.4.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3Notch
DR44G is the only way to go, 1 cable from the rear lug to your battery and your done, its internaly regulated at 13.4.

does it have any small wire going to a plug at all?? whats that alternator off?

thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by e30lsx
does it have any small wire going to a plug at all?? whats that alternator off?

thanks
There will be a small brown wire that goes to the PCM to enable the charge circuit.

That alternator is from full sized trucks and SUV's. There are two versions, one is 120(ish) amp (smaller case) and the other is 135 or 140 amps but has a larger case. I use the large case on every swap because of the higher amperage unless I'm concerned about space or weight.

Use 2002 Silverado 5.3 or 6.0 as a baseline search when speaking with the parts counter guys.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
There will be a small brown wire that goes to the PCM to enable the charge circuit.

That alternator is from full sized trucks and SUV's. There are two versions, one is 120(ish) amp (smaller case) and the other is 135 or 140 amps but has a larger case. I use the large case on every swap because of the higher amperage unless I'm concerned about space or weight.

Use 2002 Silverado 5.3 or 6.0 as a baseline search when speaking with the parts counter guys.

ha of course the one that should of been on my motor. there is an alt for sale local one month old of an 06 4.8.. any chance that's the same? does it have dr44g stamped in it? also do both large and small fit an oem f-body lower mount?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Teching In

any more info or ideas would be great.... what years do i look for? if alt has a few wires on plug will it still work using one?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e30lsx
any more info or ideas would be great.... what years do i look for? if alt has a few wires on plug will it still work using one?

I'd like to hear more opinions too. I have a DR44G but it wont work with Holley EFI. Now what to get?

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 02-06-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

have the alternator converted to a one wire(self exciting) alternator...all problems solved

there are also companies like powerbastards.com that sell high amperage versions, and they offer a one wire version as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
have the alternator converted to a one wire(self exciting) alternator...all problems solved

there are also companies like powerbastards.com that sell high amperage versions, and they offer a one wire version as well.
Don't want to hijack the thread but...

Is there a one wire conversion for a DR44G? This is the alternator I got from you.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
Don't want to hijack the thread but...

Is there a one wire conversion for a DR44G? This is the alternator I got from you.
I'm sure there is...
if somebody else is selling that alternator as a one wire...there s a part available somewhere to turn it into one.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who sells it as a one wire?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM
8 Second Club

powerbastards.com
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

....I have a DR44G but it wont work with Holley EFI....
This is odd....WHy would the EFI system care what alternator you were using as long as it was producing the needed output? Doesn't make any sense...

Andrew
Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
This is odd....WHy would the EFI system care what alternator you were using as long as it was producing the needed output? Doesn't make any sense...

Andrew
his wording may not be correct...

the alternator works...but the Holley EFI doesnt provide an L-Term output like the stock ECU does....therefore it needs an external piece to condition the voltage to the proper signal to allow it to charge...usually this means a 12v ignition source, ran thru Light bulb and then into the exciter wire on the plug...

he may not understand that its just that simple, or he may not want to wire it up that way just for simple means of how it looks...
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

his wording may not be correct...

the alternator works...but the Holley EFI doesnt provide an L-Term output like the stock ECU does....therefore it needs an external piece to condition the voltage to the proper signal to allow it to charge...usually this means a 12v ignition source, ran thru Light bulb and then into the exciter wire on the plug...

he may not understand that its just that simple, or he may not want to wire it up that way just for simple means of how it looks...
If "he" refers to me, then yes. I'm just getting into computer controlled cars and you, soundengineer, gave me the impression that you couldn't use the alternator with the Holley EFI.

When I wired the 3G alternator in the Mustang, I put a charge light in for the same reason. So, basically, this alt will use my existing wiring with a new connector.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM
8 Second Club

If "he" refers to me, then yes. I'm just getting into computer controlled cars and you, soundengineer, gave me the impression that you couldn't use the alternator with the Holley EFI.

When I wired the 3G alternator in the Mustang, I put a charge light in for the same reason. So, basically, this alt will use my existing wiring with a new connector.

I never said I couldnt use it with the Holley EFI....

I used it with a light bulb.....until I switched to a Higher output one wire alternator...
I couldnt use it because it didnt do what I needed it to do

I probably did say that the Holley EFI did not provide a signal to allow it to charge.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, I talked to Powerbastards and all the guy would say is that they sell a one wire version for $3xx but they don't sell the regulator and he didn't know who did...then he hung up.

Oh damn, this isn't my thread! Sorry about that.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

For those who contemplating using a one wire alternator, best of luck. Unless the design has significantly improved over the past 20 years, they suck with any load at idle. Especially with the headlights, ac on and electric fans running, much less any significant stereo amplifier. Many street rod guys jumped on that bandwagon a while back and regretted it then switched back to a normal alternator that is more efficient. Looking for significant success stories. Is it really that big of a deal to add/include a simple wire through a lamp on the dash to switched ignition power? How about when the alternator fails on a road trip in small town America. With a one wire you are sheet out of luck. With std alternator most any parts store has them on the shelf. Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said I couldnt use it with the Holley EFI....

I used it with a light bulb.....until I switched to a Higher output one wire alternator...
I couldnt use it because it didnt do what I needed it to do

I probably did say that the Holley EFI did not provide a signal to allow it to charge.
What exactly would it not do that you needed it to do?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by aknovaman
For those who contemplating using a one wire alternator, best of luck. Unless the design has significantly improved over the past 20 years, they suck with any load at idle. Especially with the headlights, ac on and electric fans running, much less any significant stereo amplifier. Many street rod guys jumped on that bandwagon a while back and regretted it then switched back to a normal alternator that is more efficient. Looking for significant success stories. Is it really that big of a deal to add/include a simple wire through a lamp on the dash to switched ignition power? How about when the alternator fails on a road trip in small town America. With a one wire you are sheet out of luck. With std alternator most any parts store has them on the shelf. Just my opinion.
I have ZERO PROBLEMS with mine
and if it does fail... I can still replace it with a standard alternator as most parts stores also sell light bulbs with wiring sockets

I couldnt tell you who sells the regulator separate...but I know they exist and I know the LSx alternators can be converted.

I had a local shop here in nashville tell me they could convert it..its not that complicated

also, you are mostly paying for the high amperage alternator with the powerbastards stuff.... the regulator is like a $30 part..LOL

Quick Reply: best alternator for ls swap?