LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some of you seem to know your shit!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of you seem to know your ****!!!

I recently have started a new Camaro project. At first I bought a 93 z28 with a bad motor. I then bought an LT1 out of a 95 vette to put in the 93. Today I found a great deal on a 95 Z28 with no motor or trans or engine wiring. It was Lt1 6 speed car. So I plan on taking the engine wiring from the 93 Z28 and put it in the 95 and run the non vented 93 style opti. My question for that is....is the computer from the 93 gonna work with the wiring from the inside of the 95? I am also in the process of rebuilding the engine for this project and was just gonna do it all stock but that just sounds silly to not atleast put a cam in the thing. I will probably just mainly put a bigger cam, with appropriate valve train components and keep the rest the same specs wise. when I do this and want to tune it.....what does a guy need to do that? A laptop and ?????? Been building cars my whole life and when it comes to this injection and computers I am completely in the dark as far as tuning. And at what point does a guy need to go with bigger injectors? I sure would like to chat with one you guys about this stuff......I have no problem tuning my Malibu with a 6-71 blower and nitrous but this computer tuning is new to me but I'd like to figure this out as well.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try to find the 95 wiring. The 93 Computer has a chip that must be programmed vs the 94+ that has a PROM or programmable computer, vs having to change a chip every time you tune. Also the vented opti is a superior design to the non-vented.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a few complete wiring harnesses on here for around $65 shipped, so finding a harness shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

So i would need to find the computer off a 95 with the harness....correct?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

the computer = pcm???
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have a 1995 body with no engine or wiring harness, I would suggest you consider moving up to a LS1 engine instead of going with the LT1.

Find a 1999 or newer wreck and pull out what you need-including the transmission. The only major body modification is to use a 1998 and up (LS1 style) K-frame. Using a tubular K-frame is always a great idea in these cars.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperdave90
So i would need to find the computer off a 95 with the harness....correct?
Yes.

Originally Posted by chopperdave90
the computer = pcm???
Yes.

If you are going to go with the LT1 you have, the 95 PCM and engine harness will be the most plug and play. No sense in using a non-vented opti. The 95 LT1 from the vette is already set up for a vented one.

Use Tunercat for tuning and TTS Datamaster for data logging (you can get them in a bundle at the Tunercat website).
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like shbox said use all the same year parts. every year there were subtle differences in the cars.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

so the way it sounds, I should just put the the 93 z together using the long block from the 95 vette since i have nothing else for the 95... pcm,intake,trans, harness etc. the 95 i have is a six speed car as well so maybe i should hold out on that project until i can get the parts i need. Id love to do the 6 speed anyway. the 93 is a clean body as well and it'd be a waste to not use the parts I have for it since I have all the parts i need to complete it since it was a complete car with a motor that knocked. And hopefully I can just rebuild that LT1 for the 95. Im in the process of rebuilding the motor and will mainly just be putting a bigger cam in it and freshening up the rest. do you think I will need to upgrade to bigger injectors? And is tuning it a big deal? I know from what I read, its different then all the other years but its a one time deal right? Im not making a race car just want tit to run right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some of you seem to know your shit!!!