LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Swap into a 1989 Sonoma, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Swap into a 1989 Sonoma, help please!

Hey everyone, I posted this on a couple other forums as well, including ltxtech, and was suggested to this page, thanks for the help in advance!

So my dad and I are doing an LT1 swap to my '89 Sonoma and we ran into a couple problems.

1) What should we do about the cooling system? (What radiator to use)
2) What should we do about headers? Should we run shorties? Block hugger? Long tubes?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Due to the reverse cooling I would see his an F or B body radiator would fit. Might look at the Corvette also.

I would contact Current Performance & Wiring, in FL myself. They have done more V8 S 10 swaps than anybody. Jared is a good guy and a straight shooter. You need his harness also. Nobody has done as many, or done them as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
9-Second Club

The S10 radiator has a fitting for the steam tube from the rear of the cylinder heads?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM
9-Second Club

My Camaros have a fitting in the passenger side radiator end tank, near the top.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by superspirit
here is a link to a pic of the hose setup I am talking about.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4...ement01qo4.jpg
it shows the t gm used so the steam hose doesnt have to go to the radiator.
That 3/8" diameter hose laying on that aluminum bracket, running next to that AC hose, passenger side, with a hose clamp on it by the front on the manifold IS the steam hose, and it is going to the radiator, just below the filler cap. That is how every one I have seen is plumbed. That stainless tube that runs between the cylinder heads at the rear. Goes along the passenger side valve cover, then that hose clamps to it, as seen in your pic, other end of that hose goes to the radiator. The steam hose does not go through the throttle body. The bleeder is not in the steam hose or tube.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would sooner do a 5.3l than an LT1 in basically any swap.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 PM
9-Second Club

Why is the 5.3L truck engine so popular here? Price?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Why is the 5.3L truck engine so popular here? Price?
Availability. You can get one anywhere. Its in a LOT of vehicles.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by superspirit
You are correct. now look to the left at the T in the heater hose and you will see what I am talking about. the bleeder in the heater hose is on top. the throttle body return goes in to the heater hose. I respect your opinion but I am a retired master auto tech not just an idiot on the forum.LOOK at the heater hose!

here is an excerpt from an article explaining it in detail.

In LT1 B/D-cars, coolant exiting the throttle body is passed directly into a pressurized coolant reservoir where any air remaining in the coolant is completely scavenged. In LT1 F-cars, coolant from the throttle body connects to the heater outlet via a vented "tee" connector, where any trapped air in the system can be bled off manually. Eliminating steam pockets and foam in the coolant allows for more uniform cooling system performance, preventing hot spots and potential overheating.

you can find the entire article here. http://www.fierolt1.com/lt1_cool.htm
That hose teed into the heater hose in that picture is the coolant line that goes through the throttle body, that is not the hose from the steam line, which runs across and from the rear of the cylinder heads. That steam hose is clamped to the stainless steel steam tubing on the passenger side, next to the intake where the throttle body bolts up. Left side of the manifold in that picture. It's that hose that runs off the left side of the pic, which would show it connected to the radiator. It's clamped (you can see the clamp) to the stainles tubing just below that open vent hose with the 90 deg bend at the end, that is laying on it.
That hose should just dump into the radiator tank, not a heater hose.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Thanks all for the help!

And to answer the 5.3L swap question instead of an LT1.. I love the LTX community. Also it doesn't take a genius to build an LS motor. Throw a random LS cam into an LS1 and it could make it quick! LT1's though, you actually have to do your research on everything. I just think the LT1/LT4's are awesome. Not trying to start an argument haha, I'm not opposed to LS motors, it's just that LT1's are more intriguing to me.

That is all.

Thanks again for the help Ed and Superspirit! The wiring harness is being sent to Bill at BP Automotive. He should have it back to us pretty quickly. We also ordered a set of Hedman LT's so we'll see how they work out!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
9-Second Club

Wow! I'm just trying to keep somebody from doing something wrong. I'm no engineer. I have been a mechanic since 1965, opened my own shop Feb 1972. I have owned LT1 cars since 1997. Worked on them since they came out in late '91. I can walk out in my garage right now, look at two virgin LT1 cars and tell you how the water lines run. Just like the picture you show, except for the throttle body bypass thing it shows.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
9-Second Club

Can't recall having a '93 apart. Not one single '94, '95, '96 of '97 I have ever had apart routed the steam line through the throttle body. That pic you put a link to doesn't either.

If your getting away with that on your swap, good for you. The GM service manuals I got from a dealership that went under (published by Helm) aren't worded like that. What book are you quoting?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that this would be much help, but both the 93's I've had (have), the steam tube comes forward directly to a nipple on the radiator. I've NEVER seen one that the steam tube was T-'d in anywhere but directly into the radiator.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

As Sgt Schultz would say.I know nothing !!!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe I am misunderstanding the argument here but based on what I think I am reading.

Factory routing of the steam pipes to the best of my knowledge was always up along the intake then through the TB then from the TB to the cooling system be it the "surge" tank on the b-body or the hose on an f-body or apparently the radiator on other year f-bodies.

Rerouting the steam line so it bypasses the TB is a VERY VERY common mod and many folks who buy a used LT1 will likely find the bypass already done.

Otherwise what are the pipes on the bottom of the TB for?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Maybe I am misunderstanding the argument here but based on what I think I am reading.

Factory routing of the steam pipes to the best of my knowledge was always up along the intake then through the TB then from the TB to the cooling system be it the "surge" tank on the b-body or the hose on an f-body or apparently the radiator on other year f-bodies.

Rerouting the steam line so it bypasses the TB is a VERY VERY common mod and many folks who buy a used LT1 will likely find the bypass already done.

You understand correctly but evidently all F bodys went straight to the radiator. I am glad someone besides me has seen them routed back in to the hose.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

The hoses to the bottom of the TB are for heat to prevent TB icing.
As for the steam plumbing, I have never had a B body apart, so will have to defer to the guy that has.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Launching!

When I swapped an LT1 into a 1991 Camaro I made an adapter and plumbed the steam line into the radiator drain plug.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a Griffin radiator without a fill cap. My fill cap is tee'd into the top hose (radiator return). There is a nipple on the bottom of the fill cap to which my steam line is plumbed. The stock top radiator hose for a 1993-94 has a molded tee you can use for the steam line. A Goodyear 62055.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The hoses to the bottom of the TB are for heat to prevent TB icing.
As for the steam plumbing, I have never had a B body apart, so will have to defer to the guy that has.
And what is supposed to hook up to those nipples to provide the head to avoid the icing?

On every unmolested LT1 car I have ever seen there was a 90degree elbow on the end of the steam pipe routing it to the TB then the outlet on the driver's side of the TB is then routed back into the rest of the cooling system.

Where do you propose the TB defrost circuit gets it's heat from if not the steam pipe?

Quick Reply: LT1 Swap into a 1989 Sonoma, help please!