Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

I just want to vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just want to vent

How many of you guys have had that one idiot friend try and tell you how bad these engines are. I had a friend tell me today that I have too many wires and computers to make the engine good. He told me his duramax gave him no over drive and he knew it was his tcm so he pulled over on the side of the highway and ripped all of the wires off his trans. Jumped in the truck and it worked fine. I was like huh thats odd since it needs those to shift lol.
He told me im dumb cuz a good old 350 would be more reliable and better for this. The odd thing is I reminded him I have a cam only bolton engine that makes almost 600 hp at the crank that he has ridden in before and it scared the **** out of him. I asked him what 350 chev makes 600 with factory heads pistons and crank.... its people like this that floor me. I told him I was goin to a supercharger and fuel injection and he just shook his head.... people are dumb.... this is kinda the end of this rant. Anyone else run into people like this?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Launching!

LOL you just made my night... I have heard it all... BBC all the way... but I said why when I could get a ly6 for 1800 and put a cam in it and get 500+ HP.....

Bruce
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i would have 1 less friend lol. pulling wires from a trans and it working flawless is just a straight up lie. i dont hang out with liars.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt say I hang out with him but when were in the same spot we chat lol. Hes always tellin lies like how fast his stuff is when its all stock. Hes got a tbi 350 with what sounds like smaller than a rv cam and 38" tires and claimed it dynoed at 475 hp to the wheels. It pulls like a honda fit lol
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
I wouldnt say I hang out with him but when were in the same spot we chat lol. Hes always tellin lies like how fast his stuff is when its all stock. Hes got a tbi 350 with what sounds like smaller than a rv cam and 38" tires and claimed it dynoed at 475 hp to the wheels. It pulls like a honda fit lol
I don't think he could get 475 to the wheels with twin turbos and a 300 shot of nitrous out of a 350 TBI! Haha my uncle is the same way always talkin **** about my motor saying its gonna blow if I put nitrous on it (forged bottom end) and how he's gonna outrun me in his 98 454 dually
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

smack cam your friend for being stupid.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I know a lot of people, unfortunately that means I know or have met multiple people like that. It is as if they think the world is a fool and no one knows what they are talking about to them.

I have a old man who is a friends dad, talks crap about Chevy day and night, swore the corvette didn't come out till 63, ect ect, yet has a box body Chevy with a 350 that turns high 10s but he cannot keep a Trans in it. Have never seen the truck move.....ever. Ran I to him the other day, about 9 years later and he still has this truck. He sees me in my mustang and didn't recognize me at first, and got the butt hurt when I told him it was a Chevy motor. Told him it runs as good as he claims his Chevy truck does but it was a 200k mile cammed stocker.

Another random guy at a car meet with a new challenger had a v6, claims it was a linginfelter model with special parts and is faster than the v8, everyone kept quiet asking questions allowing him to look as dumb as he was.

The list goes on, I have heard so many BS stories. And dead lord, how many ford guys tell me they have never seen the tail lights of a LS car no matter how built to the hilt it was. Pretty damn funny. Yet every year at tx2k event out here, there is only a ford GT with bazillions of dollars in it that is the only for doing anything. Lol
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont like bs, if bs comes out of your mouth for 1. i will tell you how freakin dumb you are 2. that will be the last time i talk to you , there clowns , period , ran into one of those ford owners last year ,01 bullit, talkin just crazy ,ran my buds z06 and i dont think i have ever seen a car dissapear like that ,
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I have a sbc in the mustang and as far as power reliability it has nothing on an ls. Honestly the ls is the best platform out there
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an old school street racer, so to speak. My 68 camaro was very fast for a street driven race car, in its day(11.0s on motor low 10 high 9 on spray), but there's no way my old 355 makes even close to the same power my lq9 does with just a mild cam swap and carb conversion....and my 355 had all the bells and whistles except it had hyd flat cam. Otherwise, was a built motor....however, I seen right away ls powa was the wave of the future....since then I've sold everything sbc and have nothing but ls powered vehicles and swaps.....lol with the exception of wife's daily(2013 5.0) hehe.

Ps. I had no problem walking off on my buddies bbc camaro other day in my cam only 99ss. He swore up and down it ran 11s. Well, needless to say I showed him what a real 11.50 car looks like lmao...
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I get the same thing around here. I know alot of older car guys, well older than me. Most dont want to hear it. First thing they say is im old school and dont like computers. Im like its got a carb and its stupid simple to run with the msd. Still sounds to complicated. I'm done trying to convince these guys. More junkyard ls motors for me!!!
I will say that I did impress my dad. Just because I spanked his 468 BB Chevelle with a $500 junkyard motor.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no cure for stupid.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

some of these guys run 3/4 cams still, lol
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of ford guys tell me how their built sbf, aftermarket block, rotating assembly, solid roller cams can walk my car. I say, wow, you should be impressed, my car is a 6.0 with a cam. Hell, half of them are running 6 teens with glides and brakes and steep gears. I am running 6.3s with my 4.10 and turbo 350. They all seem to think I am maxed out and cant get any more power out of it and always say I need to replace the rods and pistons before they break. Then I hear the normal, you have more than what you are stating, there is no way youre getting 1.35 60fts with just a cam and a carb. I get so tired of defending it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, I tell a friend about billy flantos car being a cathedral unported heads junkyard 6 liter and he wants time slips and videos. Lol
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yea, I tell a friend about billy flantos car being a cathedral unported heads junkyard 6 liter and he wants time slips and videos. Lol
Something I don't think Billy did either of though....post slips or videos that is lol.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

i got a buddy just like this that is BBC all the way and sbc's are gay aswell as ls based motors always tells a story about how the 1500hp dmax spins all 4 tires at 70mph on the hwy and how it would whoop everything at any of the tx2k events ..... whatever gtfo
Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, would love to see a diesel truck roll up to 200 mph like these guys do every year.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I get that abuse every day I post up on another site. They are , for the most part, SBC/BBC guys. They also think that an LS isn't really an LS unless it has 3 miles of wiring, EFI etc , etc.....Ive preached till Im blue in the face that a carbed LS swap is the least expensive, least complicated, fastest, bang for the dollar out there today. They claim that you may as well stay with a gen 1 platform, if you are putting a carb on it. Its mainly an older crowd over there, but , crap, Im 49 yrs old and have built several fast SBCs over the years and there is no doubt the LS family is head and shoulders better than the SBC in every way. I guess it takes all kinds to keep the hot rod culture alive. Its just frustrating when you are honestly trying to turn people on to the exotic geometry sitting in that totaled sierra at the junk yard, and they just blow it off as BS. Thats OK , I just try to keep my tail lights and back bumper clean so my car looks nice for them, LOL.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im surrounded by F.O.G's-"fu*king old guys"-and Ford guys. I have learned to say nothing but, really, wow, is that right, and dang. I just let my junkyard motors talk.

Quick Reply: I just want to vent