Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 1969 Firebird Oil Pan nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 into 1969 Firebird Oil Pan nightmare

I'm swapping a 98 model LS1 into my 1969 firebird. I am using the hooker headers conversion motor mounts and a custom built trans mount. I bought the hooker headers motor mounts so I would not have to modify the pan. after the motor is in I realize I have to modify the pan. I have a friend of mine that is a great metal guy and we cut the correct amount off the pan and he extended the pickup tube for me as well. Now that I have everything back I have realized the pickup tube is not moved far enough to the rear as it is hitting the baffle in the bottom of the pan. I also believe the pickup tube is too low in the pan after he extended it. Hard to tell because I cannot get the oil pan to bolt up but the pickup tube right now is in line with the bottom of the front of the transmission where the bottom of the pan bolts to.

Is there a company out there that makes an oil pickup tube that will pick oil up from the rear of a stock F-body pan??
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

There are a few company that sell oil pans for the first gen ls1 swap.
I got mine from Pace Performance, Holley sell one and a few others.
Try checking with the sponsors on this site I'm sure someone sell
them.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holley just came out with the 302-2 oil pans which are made for your car using the Hooker mounts.

Summit sells them, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-302-2/overview/
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Just to be sure there is no confusion on the parts, the Hooker mounts sebtarta is referring to are the new clamshell retrofit mount brackets, not the universal Hooker swap LS swap plates that have been available for the last 5 years.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Just to be sure there is no confusion on the parts, the Hooker mounts sebtarta is referring to are the new clamshell retrofit mount brackets, not the universal Hooker swap LS swap plates that have been available for the last 5 years.
So the 302-2 oil pan does not work with the old Hooker motor mounts?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
So the 302-2 oil pan does not work with the old Hooker motor mounts?
The new pan will work with both the new and old Hooker mounts, but the engine mounts themselves provide distictly different installed engine geometry in a 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I screwed around with my fbody oil pan in my Mustang for a couple months trying to get it to fit right, and get it to be flat after warping it, and just plain wasting time on it.

Then Holley released the 302-2 pan, and it fits better than my modified pan, and I could set the engine lower in the chassis than with my modified pan and still have the same clearance. I guess the only thing that really annoys me about the 302-2 pan, is that Holley didn't release it like six months ago.

Also, Jegs was and still is selling it for $330 with free shipping, $20 less than Summit. I ordered mine and it drop shipped and arrived four days ahead of schedule.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I have wasted so much time fooling with modifying this pan locally it is just rediculous. and it cost me over $200

Thank you guys for the help! That holley pan comes with the pickup tube correct?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I used Autokraft's oil pan with Speedtech's motor mounts in my 68 Camaro:

http://www.autokraft.org/products/
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
I have wasted so much time fooling with modifying this pan locally it is just rediculous. and it cost me over $200

Thank you guys for the help! That holley pan comes with the pickup tube correct?
Yes it comes with a pickup tube, hardware, oring, and oil system bypass cover. I have posted pictures of it in my build thread as well as the Holley 302-2 thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rag-strip.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...available.html
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Since my pan is already modified and I paid $200 to have it modified I just ordered the S&P modified oil pan pickup tube that they use on their LS1 modified oil pan (which is what I have.. just not modded by them).

The guy I ordered from on the Tech Line told me if it didnt fit to send it back so I will try this and if it doesnt fit then I will send it back and order the Holley pan.

thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 1969 Firebird Oil Pan nightmare