Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Looking at buying a c6z

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a c6z

2009 c6z black on black 17,000 miles stock. There asking 49. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the price and if there is any mechanical flaws with this car that I should know about.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Price seems a tad high. I'd talk them down a couple grand.

If it were my car i'd immediately have the heads worked over by WCCH so you don't have to worry about the valve dropping issue. I wish I had enough dough to buy one. I love love love the C6Z.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Jared Cocanougher owner of Race Proven Performance is selling his 06 Zo6, world record holdin car, flawless street car, YouTube his name and you'll find the car
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never buy someone elses race car
Old 01-11-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The #1 issue with C6Z06 is the heads on the LS7. It effects all years except maybe `13; GM finally acknowledged the issue in late `12 and was supposed to take action to correct new LS7s. You're SOL on older ones unless you have warranty, even then you have to pay to have the heads pulled and checked and warranty only kicks in if they find an issue (seems good chance they will).

The real bad thing is there's no reliable symptoms, the valve(s) just go. You could have 2K miles or 40K; you could race, or just DD it; stock or modded; use oil or not; hear strange noises or not. Z06 defenders will tell you there is only a "small sample" out there with the issue (blown engine); however there are tons of posts from different owners who have had their heads checked for various reasons and they are all out of spec.

That's what killed the Z06 for me as I didn't want to buy an used one and fork out a couple thousand extra to check the heads over and more to replace/fix; and then at the time I didn't know if it was a design problem or machining error that was correctable (seems to be the later according to GM).

At $49K you're $1K off from what my 2013 GS was brand new.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said the price is a bit high, but not by much. I'd say mid 40's would be about right. What interior package: 1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ ? Dealer car? How many owners (very important)?
There have been issues with heads and the valves being worn prematurely, which ends up causing a valve to break/drop. Many guys have upwards to 100k miles on their Z's with no issues, others not so lucky. You've got to let the oil warm up in these cars with the dry sump tank, it takes a while. If you drive it, get the oil temp up to at least 150-160 degrees before really romping on it. As for the trans, the car will have the T6060 and they do have a "nibble" on the 1-2 shift when cold. Also see what the clutch fluid looks like as some owners never change it. It may look like old dirty oil if it's never been changed, but should be brown to clear color if it's been changed at all. If it's got the Goodyear Supercar's on it still, then you will have NO traction, so look at buying a set of tires and use that to negotiate price! I bought my '09 Z in 2011 with 7k miles for not much more than this one is priced.
If you're really serious about buying the car I can go a bit further into what you need to look for.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Seams a little high.. But super fun cars.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a c6z