LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo 93 drivability

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 93 drivability

Hello everyone,

The car is a 93 lt1 6 speed. I am building a 355(stock crank, forged pistons/rods) with ported stock heads and a 221/228 custom grind cam. I had the heads/cam in the car already with a mail order tune and it ran great and had pretty good drivability. Now that I am building the bottom end I am thinking about turboing it as I already have most of the turbo parts. Would be running low boost from a T76, shooting for around 450-500whp.
What i want to know is how hard is it to tune a 2 bar setup for good drivability? I searched and found lots on people having problems with SD tunes in maf cars but not alot of info on 2 bar tunes on a 93(no maf to begin with).
If I am going to have drivability issues then I will just stick na and call it a day. The shop I will have it tuned at has lots of experience with turbo LS cars but not so much with the old LT1 so I dont want to do all this work an end up with a car that drives like crap.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a '93 aswell and as far as i am concerned the '93 is simply a PITA to work with as far as tuning simply because hardly anyone dyno tunes them, '94-'97 are in the same boat but not as bad..
The way i feel to go is the efi connection conversion then you can go to any REPUTABLE tuner and utilize modern software..
www.eficonnection.com awesome people over there.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ive tuned a 2 bar lt setup it ran perfectly fine with a d1 on it
Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the 93's are a PITA! Thats why I was thinking NA will be alot easier since I have a good base tune for the heads/cam already. The dyno tuning will be done by a good friend(I'll help out as I would really like to learn more on how to tune) and wont cost me more than a couple cases of beer as we'll do it when the shop isnt busy/after hours.

I have also looked into the 24x swap but at this point I dont think it would be worth it, I'd rather just do an LS swap(which was the plan hence why I already have all the turbo parts) The reason I didnt go that route is because I dont want to get super deep into this car as I'd like to pick up another project in the near future that I can really go nuts on. Then just keep this car for a fun toy that I can also drive to work etc when I feel like it.

Quick Reply: Turbo 93 drivability