LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cap and Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap and Rotor

What would be a good cap and rotor to use on my 96 Trans Am? I can pretty much figure out that Parts Store cap and rotors aren't that good. So I figured I'd ask for opinions.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Msd..
Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just replace the whole thing with with a stock ac delco unit a and locktite the rotor screws. I'm assuming you still have the stock Opti.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ******
Msd..
Thinking about it. Would it doing anything with the normal Opti?

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
i would just replace the whole thing with with a stock ac delco unit a and locktite the rotor screws. I'm assuming you still have the stock Opti.
It's not the original. Here's the story as much as I know

1st Owner - Yanked the stock one for a MSD ignition.

2nd Owner - MSD ignition started acting up. Had it all replaced at a reputable shop.

Me - Thought Opti was going out. Pulled cap, the inside of the cap is grooved from where the rotor hit it and the contact points are flat on one side and beat to hell. I'm assuming this isn't normal. Then on the rotor side of things there is what looks like it used to be a single screw holding down a part of the rotor. It's not there anymore, however those two screws people say to Loctite are still in place.

So we were thinking a cap and rotor would fix it. Most of the time it runs great.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

MSD cap & rotor are a direct replacement to AC Delco, or any other brand, Opti

OP

confirm your bearing is not bad causing wobble...and thus uneven cap/rotor wear. if so you need to replace the whole opti. AC Delco or Delphi only

it is highly recommended you use blue loc-tite on rotor screws
Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP

confirm your bearing is not bad causing wobble...and thus uneven cap/rotor wear. if so you need to replace the whole opti. AC Delco or Delphi only

Yup!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Launching!

OP

Good to know about the MSD. The rotor is kinda loose would that mean the bearing is bad. Do

Do you just need blue Loctite? I was thinking a step up. Or would that make it too much of a PITA to remove should the need ever arise.

Sorry I don't know all that much about the Optispark.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

if just "rotor" is lose that would indicate lose screws. spin/wiggle the spline shaft. if there is obvious play in it, makes any noise or binds than the bearing is bad. If screws are tight and shaft moves around the bearing is worn. Go to any auto part store and look at a new opti and compare your shaft movement to a new one if you need to. Just don't buy anything other than a AC Delco or Delphi if you gar a new opti

just use blue loc-tite....at some point you may need to replace the cap/rotor again. The Opti is just like any other distributor as the cap/rotor are wear parts. you should get 50k min miles out of one and many have gotten 100k...but again they are just cap & rotors

If you buy another brand of cap/rotor, get one with brass terminals vs aluminum.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Launching!

if just "rotor" is lose that would indicate lose screws. spin/wiggle the spline shaft. if there is obvious play in it, makes any noise or binds than the bearing is bad. If screws are tight and shaft moves around the bearing is worn. Go to any auto part store and look at a new opti and compare your shaft movement to a new one if you need to. Just don't buy anything other than a AC Delco or Delphi if you gar a new opti

just use blue loc-tite....at some point you may need to replace the cap/rotor again. The Opti is just like any other distributor as the cap/rotor are wear parts. you should get 50k min miles out of one and many have gotten 100k...but again they are just cap & rotors

If you buy another brand of cap/rotor, get one with brass terminals vs aluminum.
Well that's news. Pretty sure my spline wiggles too. So it's bad opti. I'll have to double check. Thought I was gonna catch a break on this one. There can't be any play in it at all can there?

And I've heard that only the Delphi optis run the Mitsubishi Optical Sensor is that true?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by The Outlaw Kid
Well that's news. Pretty sure my spline wiggles too. So it's bad opti. I'll have to double check. Thought I was gonna catch a break on this one. There can't be any play in it at all can there?

And I've heard that only the Delphi optis run the Mitsubishi Optical Sensor is that true?
there is "some" play, just not "slop" in the shaft of a opti.

AC Delco and delphi optis have the Mitsubishi optical sensor but it is very hard, if at all, you can find a "new" AC Delco. rockauto.com has the Delphi for a decent $

if you can spin the shaft with the cap/rotor on and not hear or feel the rotor hitting the cap the bearing is fine. if the bearing is so worn allowing excessive "slop" to the point the rotor can no longer spin freeely without hitting the cap than it is bad

your rotor should not be "kinda lose" as you said.....if the rotor screws are lose than the rotor will move around, not good. Loc-tite on the rotor screws prevents them from backing out which creates wobble in the rotor and misfire, bad running motor

Quick Reply: Cap and Rotor