Cam and springs help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam and springs help please

Hi all.
I know how a bigger Cam works and I have been reading on here for the longest time a lot of posts on the subject (mind boggling)
However I am now interested in making this change.
What is the best way to determine what cam and springs I should get? Or what to stay away from?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The camshaft in an engine is kind of like a software in a computer. You put all the hardware together, and then the cam shaft tells i what to do.

Simply asking, "What camshaft should I use" is like like asking, "My engine needs fixing, what tool do I use".

You need to be more specific. What other hardware have you installed? And what do you plan on doing with the car? What are your ultimate goals?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Call and talk to Brian tooley @ briantooleyracing. Use his platinum springs with ti retainers and one of his cams.... I like his stage 4 na cam for a stock ls1....
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you both. I understand .boB.
Ultimate goal....just to have a faster, badass car.
I won't be racing for pinks or going to the track. I just want to have more fun with it.
Really haven't done much with it.
Headers, straight pipe, upgraded the shifter, heavy duty clutch, lowered...that's about it.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is over whelming the amount of brands, grinds, etc. Funny but I read on the board a few days ago where a shopper called a well know internet speed merchants 'customer support' line for a cam recommendation, and he got 2 totally different answers from 2 different people on 2 different days - which is exactly why I'm having a well know Houston speed shop pick it and install it for me. If you are doing it yourself, I'd look at the reputable vendors here; like Tick and others. Call them directly, they see this every day
Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The entire combination must be looked at when designing a camshaft. In a street car it is more dependent on what the customer wants based on his personal preferences.

I find street car cams much harder to dial in and perfect than for a race car. In a race car, rear gear ratios, stall converter speeds etc. can all be tailored and dialed in to match the cam and get maximum performance in a 1500-2000rpm operating range.

With a street car the owner wants it to drive a certain way, idle at a certain rpm, cruise in a certain gear at a certain rpm and mph. All of this affects the final camshaft profile more so than the actual power goal IMO. Not to mention that the operating range of a street car is normally 4000-5000rpm wide!

If a customer isn't happy with the way the car drives, it could make all the power in the world, but he is still unhappy with the overall demeanor of the car once modified.

Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss what would best fit your application.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Good grief. This is why I stopped reading all those threads about bigger cams and such.
It is overwhelming.
I'm almost inclined to leaving it as-is. I still get my point across when beating a mustang, lots of the imports and any guy in a pick up who doesn't think I know how to drive a stick. Hehe
But I think I do need a face to face cam swap 101 meeting.

Quick Reply: Cam and springs help please