Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new guy in washington, ct525 in mg midget

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy in washington, ct525 in mg midget

Hello people,
Little bit about me, always wanted a hot rod of my own making. A few years ago after my wives '79 midget motor find its way to the creek when the banks over took the garage where it was being built. I thought I would retro fit a toyota 22re in it's place but then again i had a 4.3 v-6 out of a circle track car and then talked myself out of the v-6 and that was a good running one but you know v-6 doesn't have that SOUND that certain something. That 4.3 ran great right at 300hp but it still sounded like a boat motor to me. My research lead me to sbc and then to donavon small block until i found the price tag ouch ! . Went on line and started reading about the ls gen4 small block and ordered GBPP cat.
Started buying parts in 2009 , this is what i have so far.

Part name part # price
Al Block 12584727 $1558
NI Crankshaft 12597569 $683
Cam Shaft 12480110 $373
Al Heads 12615879 $562
Oil Pan/bolts Moroso $302 w/baffles
Al Intake Manifold 25534401 $400 Victor Jr.
Oil Pump Melling $140 High Volume
Al Valve Covers GM $100
Rear Cover GM $85
Water Pump GM $175
So that"s what I have brought so far. Next week will be ordering up some rods, I have been all over the web. I decided on
Callies compstar h-beam 6.100 best price i can find is right at $590 , going to call summit wednesday and see if they will match and beat that price.
Forged Pistons will be next ,will need to research that one also would like my cr to be around 11.5:1. Floating pistons pins and coated. could use some guildence here.
My midget was a little to narrow to set the ls in so I stripped it down and found c/l got the sawsall with a 10" blade and cut it unto right down the middle. I needed right at 9" so i gave my self a little extra room sub framed and 9 3/4 is the magic number. My v-6 modified i ran a 8.5 Ford rear with heavy duty tubes. I am building a a four link rear suspension and brought some brand new rebuilt afco adjustable shocks also picked up an appleton rack for steering. I got a bit of fabricating to do yet once it get the engine put together , i am still sitting on the fence about manual or auto transmission.
would like to post some pics on here if there is a place.

Quick Reply: new guy in washington, ct525 in mg midget