Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Sunday Drive - 06 GTO and 01 Camaro SS Convert

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sunday Drive - 06 GTO and 01 Camaro SS Convert

Nice day for a slow drive around the area so GTOSpd, me, an 06 GTO (another LS1Tech member) and an 08 Bullitt went for a cruise.

The 06 GTO and 01 SS Camaro decided to run. Mods in vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFvi...ature=youtu.be

Same run but from a rear view..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MR...ature=youtu.be

Side note: the Camaro's clutch engages down near the floor and had trouble getting in fourth. Regardless, the GTO is strong up top.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It looked like the Camaro was doing good till he hit 4th. Think he would've stayed with the GTO otherwise?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
It looked like the Camaro was doing good till he hit 4th. Think he would've stayed with the GTO otherwise?
That Camaro is quick and was holding his own until 4th. He will be doing the drill mod on the clutch to get that worked out. We still think the LS2 would begin to inch by slowly. It seems that once the GTO gets moving, it gets stronger up top.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good runs. Camaro needs a bit more.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dat F-Body nose lift though! Lol.

Good runs. About what I expected from an average heavy vert Camaro I guess. I would expect an LS2 to be stronger than an LS1 up top.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GTOSpd's got rid of his auto car?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
GTOSpd's got rid of his auto car?
LOLO..you remember that?

Yes, he did. He sold that and just picked this one up and he has already begun modding it.
This Camaro is really clean inside and out...and quick. I am sure H/C are coming soon knowing him.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I might know GTOSpd as well. Did he have a black LS1 SS with a HCI on a stalled auto by chance?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Dat F-Body nose lift though! Lol.

Good runs. About what I expected from an average heavy vert Camaro I guess. I would expect an LS2 to be stronger than an LS1 up top.
Yea...I saw that when I was editing the vid. Pretty cool.
He mentioned he took out the front swaybar.

By the way, I believe he mentioned he does not have a tune in the Camaro. I think once he gets it tuned, I will pick up a bit more.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

good runs!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Teching In

I think I might know GTOSpd as well. Did he have a black LS1 SS with a HCI on a stalled auto by chance?
YES...that is him. The paint on that car was nice as hell!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Sweet 13 second cars guys.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh wow, how come he got rid of it? He's friends with a guy that I know pretty well on here who has a ported/pullied 03 Cobra. Never met him, but used to chat with him quite a bit over on the Mustang Forums
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CR04gt
Sweet 13 second cars guys.

LOLLL..Come on back and run then...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Oh wow, how come he got rid of it? He's friends with a guy that I know pretty well on here who has a ported/pullied 03 Cobra. Never met him, but used to chat with him quite a bit over on the Mustang Forums
Not 100% sure either...I know he picked up a Trailblaser with the LS2. Wondering if was just time for something else? Regardless, looks like he is back in the game again.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey bud, how ya been? Yea, I sold her so I could get a 4 cylinder Ranger to DD, pull my jon-boat around, hunt with, etc. The black SS was a very low mileage car so I paid a decent amount for it. Long story short, financially it worked out better for me to sale it and find a cheaper LS1 so I could have both vehicles. I'll get it up to speed here soon. Biggest thing it needs right now is a tune and drill mod. I couldn't touch 4th to save my life. Forgot how low GM set the rev limiter too, lol. Should pick up a good +15 hp/tq from a tune along with getting the RPM pushed up where it needs to be, etc. Currently running stock cat-back piping with a chokemaster welded in (previous owner did it not me, lol) so a good cat-back will open it up some too. Hope to be cammed within the next couple months.

MachXlR8, I had a lot of fun today man. That Mach of yours runs strong! Really didn't expect us to stay side by side like that. Would've loved to see you and Bryan go at it.

For all you doubters out there, Machs can keep up just fine with an LS1 when primarily comparing bolt-on mods only. I couldn't pull ahead of that 4V one bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GtoSpd
Hey bud, how ya been? Yea, I sold her so I could get a 4 cylinder Ranger to DD, pull my jon-boat around, hunt with, etc. The black SS was a very low mileage car so I paid a decent amount for it. Long story short, financially it worked out better for me to sale it and find a cheaper LS1 so I could have both vehicles. I'll get it up to speed here soon. Biggest thing it needs right now is a tune and drill mod. I couldn't touch 4th to save my life. Forgot how low GM set the rev limiter too, lol. Should pick up a good +15 hp/tq from a tune along with getting the RPM pushed up where it needs to be, etc. Currently running stock cat-back piping with a chokemaster welded in (previous owner did it not me, lol) so a good cat-back will open it up some too. Hope to be cammed within the next couple months.

MachXlR8, I had a lot of fun today man. That Mach of yours runs strong! Really didn't expect us to stay side by side like that. Would've loved to see you and Bryan go at it.

For all you doubters out there, Machs can keep up just fine with an LS1 when primarily comparing bolt-on mods only. I couldn't pull ahead of that 4V one bit.
Speak of the devil lol! Wow, i'm a little surprised. So will you eventually HCI this one as well? Sounds like you made a smart move given your other toys here
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Speak of the devil lol! Wow, i'm a little surprised. So will you eventually HCI this one as well? Sounds like you made a smart move given your other toys here
I still lurk around, lol.. oh yea, she'll get all the goodies. The wife and I sold our townhome and bought an actual house, so a pick-up pretty much became a necessity for the yard stuff too. I'm basically paying the same for two vehicles that just the black SS was costing me. Hated to let her go though, I really did. That car was damn quick...just ask Greddy
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

GtoSpd - Hows it handle with the sway bar removed?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
GtoSpd - Hows it handle with the sway bar removed?
Not even noticeable. The only time it'll get you in trouble is in a higher speed curve, like if you got on it around a clover-leaf type exit ramp, etc. Without the front sway bar hooked up, its more prone to kick the rear end out from under you in that type of circumstance. I don't drive fast unless its in a straight line, so it doesn't concern me.

Quick Reply: Sunday Drive - 06 GTO and 01 Camaro SS Convert