Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided on a setup. What do you guys think..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided on a setup. What do you guys think..

I'm looking to reach some mid to high 11's while sticking under my 10K dollar limit. I'll give you my current mods, then I'll give you a list of the things going on/into my car and see if I'm under my budget, and if I'll have enough power to help me net some 11 second pass's.

My current setup:

01 SLP Firehawk M6 with 25K miles
Dynomouth exhaust
SLP air lid.
Free mods

Mods coming next month:

Cartek Stage 2 Heads and Cam package
hone the cylinder walls
re-ring the pistons (trying to fix my oil consumption problems)
Stage 2 clutch
Moser 12-bolt with 4.10 gears
Sticky tires
Headers, X-pipe, sweet thunder chamberd dumps
Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short stick.

With all of that should I be under 10K including the labor it will cost to have it all installed and tuned? And should i be able to hit some 11's?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Launching!

On a side note i was also trying to shoot for 450+ rwhp and it be a reliable car to drive every once in a while. This car will not be my daily driver, but will still get driven on weekends.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I'd recommend doing the work yourself, as it's not that hard, and you save some money. Also, I'd say go ahead and get a stage 3 clutch. Better holding power, and feels like the stocker.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Yea I may want to go with the Stage 3 since I'll be putting alot of power down. As far as the work goes.. I cant do it myself. I dont have the time, shop, tools, or know how to tackle a job of that size on myself with basic hand tools, and no lift.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you'd be darn close to 10k in parts and labor considering the 12 bolt would be 2200 and im sure that heads/cam pkg is around 3K figure another grand for headers/ypipe depending on whos system you go with but it doesnt look like your skimpin so a grand sounds fair and labor to install heads/cam varies greatly anywhere from 750-2000 from what i know and seen and your also talking about some minor stuff to be done so id lean in the 1500-2000 just for the install since id assume most good shops would pull the motor for that type of work. FWIW i dont think you'll see 450 to the wheels...the 2X pkg isnt a peak # pkg its produced really good track times though. A member on this board has gone 11.3 NA on that pkg & 10.7's on a shot but i think hey only dynoed in the low 400's so #'s arent everything especially peak.

Have fun
Bill
Old 05-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foff667
you'd be darn close to 10k in parts and labor

A member on this board has gone 11.3 NA on that pkg & 10.7's on a shot but i think hey only dynoed in the low 400's so #'s arent everything especially peak.

Have fun
Bill
I know I'm gonna be sitting darn close to 10K with those mods, and labor. I'm hoping if i walk in a shop with cash in hand and the parts the will cut me some slack.

Thats crazy.. I believe you but i just think its odd to see a Z06 with 405 hp (thats not at the wheels though) go an average of 12.60's and the cartek pkg #2 go 11.3's with around 420ish lets say. I have still yet alot to learn. Thanks for all the help and info guys. I'm trying to soak in everything i can.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

talk to WS6TransAm01 his name is alex hes not on here often but thats what his car has run with those #'s with his driving talk to him and im sure he'll put you in the right mindset about those heads/cam as a matter of fact he might even be selling his 2x pkg to step up to the 3x so ask him about that too.

lata
Bill
Old 05-10-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice with cartek . I would just drive down there and have them do everything to your car so it all setup at the same place. There is nothing worse than having too many cooks in the same kitchen. As far as doing the work yourself I have seen lots of people do it and for some it works out well but I find some of them are the guys with alot of problems and wondering why they dont have the hp they were looking for.

Letus know how it goes.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by offaxis
Good choice with cartek . I would just drive down there and have them do everything to your car so it all setup at the same place. There is nothing worse than having too many cooks in the same kitchen..
Thats what I had planned. Since there isnt any good all around speed shops here in Ok. I would rather drive down to Texas and get some work done, all at the same place. So if a sponser see's this and would be intrested in my buisness shoot me a PM and let me know. I plan on starting my project within the next 2 months tops. Thanks again for everyone's help. This all means alot to me.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If your in OK why not just go local like to Tx and get one of there setups whether thats MTI, TSP or whatever(im not sure of what other sponsors are located in TX so dont kill me ) If your dead set on cartek thats fine, but like how cartek is a stickler with making sure their pkg leaves their shop in the best running order it could leave in im sure those shops would too bend over backwards to make good #'s come out of that car before you leave.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Could I just order a Cartek Stage 2 H/C package and all the other parts and just take em all down to a shop and have them put it on my car? I imagine i can order all the parts off the web cheaper than I could take it down to TSP or another good shop and say order everything for me. I'm looking for bang for my buck here. Plus I want re-liable parts.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be totally sure that the shop you use has plenty of experience with LS1's. Ask for references. I think the Cartek 2x package is hard to beat. Very good choice. I would also spend a little more and get some ARP rod bolts since the engine will be apart.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would do a leakdown before bothering with the rings man.

99% of oil consumption is through the PCV.

Also if you insist on pulling the motor go with a set of forged stock size pistons and a good rod. It adds about 1000 bucks including machining/balancing but you wont have to worry about losing a rod. Also do good rod bolts/head/mainstuds as well.