General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key wont physically turn in ignition

Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Key wont physically turn in ignition

So yesterday I went to start my car and when I put the key in, it would not physically turn almost as if the steering wheel was locked. Though the wheel is not locked, when I jiggle it, it makes the sound as if it wants to lock but it doesnt. The shifter can also be moved without having the brake pressed.

You guys have any idea on what this could be?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could very well be the shift interlock.

But lets eliminate a couple things first.
1: Did you jiggle the key around and move the wheel left and right while trying to turn the key?
2:try placing the car all the way in park and try again.
3: the button that moves the rod down on the shifter handle can get stuck halfway sometimes, try moving that in and out a few times and see if it allows you to turn key yet.

Then if that doesn't work, need to verify the electric shift lock solenoid is not malfunctioning or bound.

This all assume you are A4.
If you need more help, let me know.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 9T8Bird
Could very well be the shift interlock.

But lets eliminate a couple things first.
1: Did you jiggle the key around and move the wheel left and right while trying to turn the key?
2:try placing the car all the way in park and try again.
3: the button that moves the rod down on the shifter handle can get stuck halfway sometimes, try moving that in and out a few times and see if it allows you to turn key yet.

Then if that doesn't work, need to verify the electric shift lock solenoid is not malfunctioning or bound.

This all assume you are A4.
If you need more help, let me know.
Yes I tried all three of those and the key still wont turn. I even took the shifter off and pushed the rod with my thumb to make sure it wasnt stuck.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This same exact thing happened to me but was in a different car, my old DD 1995 Toyota Camry. I hopped in for the airport and WTF the key won't turn!!! I'm freaking out, the steering wheel is locked so I'm beating the hell out of it thinking it is causing my key not to turn. Then I remembered I had an extra key on a keychain hanging somewhere in the garage, put that key in and it worked! Turns out the key I was using was worn just enough to not turn the tumbler. Compared the 2 keys and yea could see a definate difference.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Its either the shift interlock, or column or internal/key and tumbler issue
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Weird thing just happened, went to start the car this morning and someone must have fixed it while I was sleeping because it just turned with no trouble. Only thing wrong was a dead battery.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go to a mom and pop key maker and make a spare for a few dollars, a dealership will charge you a small fortune. if it is a worn key, be prepared to get stuck somewhere . I got stuck with a VATS issue once, scared the crap out of me and thankfully was in a good part of houston.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will rear its ugly head again, at the worst possible time.. It sounds like tumblers inside the cylinder. Like stated, try a new key, if you still have issues its gonna be the cylinder.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Had to replace the cylinder lock on my 4runner not to long ago. Cheap and easy on the 4runner at least. Not sure about the fbody, but can't be too complicated.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Some key cylinders have to be replaced with the key in the RUN position. Better to replace those before they totally quit on you. Otherwise you'll be pulling a lot of **** apart. Not sure if our cars are like that but just had some fun on a ****** caravan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key wont physically turn in ignition