General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cooling fans popped fuse????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cooling fans popped fuse????

2000 Camaro Z-28....Need some help please.... parked car a week ago. Ran great. Drove car this past Sunday and noticed car was running hot. Normally never goes over 190, noticed it was around 210-220. Opened hood noticed fans were not on. Large 40 amp fuse blown. Put new one in and fans did not come on and fuse did not pop. Ran out of time to look further I to problem. Fans turn freely by hand. Any ideas where to look to find problem?????

Last edited by PROSTREETZ; 01-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

I forgot to mention in post above this is a 2000 Z-28. Had time to look into problem and even more confused.... Replaced fuse and relay, just in case relay was blown also. Started car and let it come up to temp. As car was warming up, I turned a/c on to see if fans would come on...and they did. The main fan was spinning fast and the smaller fan was turning very slowly...not sure if that was normal. Turned a/c off and fans stopped. When car came up to temp and the fans were to come on, volt gauge dropped, heard idle come down(like a load on motor), lights went dim and 3 seconds later heard a pop and idle came back to normal, volt gauge went back up and lights went bright again.... It blew the 40amp fuse. I know it is not the fan motor cause it spun with no problem when I turned a/c on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that my car has 3 cooling fan relays, the system uses two ground signals from the ecm, one is to turn relay 1 on and the fans on low, running them in series,(both fans sharing 12volts) then if the temp gets higher, the ecm sends a second signal, which switches relay 2 and 3 causing the fans to run in parallel, (both fans getting full voltage). I have a factory service manual schematic of the cooling system for my 98, I believe yours is still the same, if you would like a copy of the drawing Email me at raron455@yahoo.com and I can send it to you. For that fuse to blow, it means the system is in excess of 40 amps, I would suspect a fan myself, just because it turns does not mean it is in good shape, if the resistance is high, the amp load goes up.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Deffenitley a fan motor no doubt

Quick Reply: cooling fans popped fuse????