Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wear inside door normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wear inside door normal?

My paint is wearing inside my doors (silver line as you can see in the picture.) My doors don't sag or anything and close solidly. I've tried lubing the rubber gasket but is there anything else I can do to stop this wear? Is this normal on 4th gens?

I suppose I could mask off the doors in the summer and use a GM color code spray bomb
as it doesn't have to look perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Wear inside door normal?-wear.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that, and your door is sagging just not enough that you readily see it, try slowly and I mean SLOWLY closing the door and you will feel it lift ever so slightly as it slides onto the latch system.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Launching!

I see..it must be very minor then! Any ideas on how to raise my doors a couple mm's to help prevent this?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

the normal sagging door fix that has to do with the hinge, it's on here somewhere.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The bushings in the hinge are probably worn. The doors on these cars are heavy so sagging over time is common.

I try to never leave my doors open and always make sure they latch all the way when closed.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Launching!

It's weird though because the doors close so solidly and I've never felt any
play in them whatsoever. Maybe its grit build up on the weather stripping?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be? Get down on the ground and watch it close from the bottom and you should be able to see if its rubbing

Last edited by BLK95-Z; 01-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

IF it's minor busing wear you can loosen the door hinge to body bolts lightly, lift up on the door and re-tighten. It will save replacing a hinge for super minor wear in bushings.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Quick question for you guys, what is that black (looks like plastic) circle that looks like an eye to the left of the door jamb plastic? I've wondered how there was a rust hole that just happened to be in that spot, but that plastic thing explains it.. Anyone know what it's meant for or anything? I've never seen that except for the rusty hole in it's place on my car..
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

It where some one or some company drilled a hole probably when the car was new for a hack job undercoat rust prevention BS a lot of schiesty dealers try to sell people on.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My sill has that wear line too. I didn't notice any sag in the door but I'll check again, and have it addressed whenever I get the car repainted (whenever that is).
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, 01ws6/tamu... I wonder why it is only on the drivers door... From what I remember (been a while since I've looked at the car due to storage) the hole in my door jamb is in the EXACT location that the one pictured is in...
What exactly do they do after they drill the hole? I'd like to patch it without any evidence of it being there so it would help a great deal to know exactly what I'm dealing with...
Thanks again. Don't mean to hijack but the thread seems to have concluded and it was much more relevant to just post on this thread...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

The have a wand they stick through the hole and spray the inside of the rocker panel channel with undercoating. It's possible they may have found a way into the rocker on the other side without drilling a whole it all depends on how sneaky the tech doing it can get to spray everywhere they need to. I mean it's not necessarily a bad thing to undercoat them but a lot of dealers will try to push it as a extra it must be done to rustproof your car at the time of sale and it's not the case as the cars are sealed and galvanized and primered at the factory.

Now a 69 camaro completely different story those cars where assembled with bare shiny steel everywhere they didn't spray primer or rust proofing anywhere they didn't have to.

In my experience the holes that match the one you showed in the pic are due to the above happening. I've also seen it done a time or 2 by a paintless dent repair shop. Only way to fill the hole is to weld it up skim coat it prime it and paint the door jamb.

Quick Reply: Wear inside door normal?