Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

In-cabin boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default In-cabin boost controller

Looking at the Turbosmart in-cabin controller for like $142.00, not cheap but I like their stuff. Do these work pretty good?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It worked good for me. All the way off it's gate pressure then turn a few clicks and boost climbs. I now have a eboost and I have my in cab Turbosmart manual controller for sale if your interested.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

A 12$ dash mounted pneumatic regulator will do the same thing. I use an Ebay plastic mini-regulator on my turbo LS. Works just fine. Turbosmart unit I installed on a friends car worked great too... Just seems like a waste to me.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 01-17-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
A 12$ dash mounted pneumatic regulator will do the same thing.... Turbosmart unit I installed on a friends car worked great too... Just seems like a waste to me.
Back in the day we used these in turbo Buicks with great success.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

anyone care to touch on this 12$ regulator? lol like what you would use on an air compressor or what
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by I-H8-RICE
anyone care to touch on this 12$ regulator? lol like what you would use on an air compressor or what

Assuming your in the ball park with the spring in your gate all you need is a dual port wastegate, length of vacuum hose (silicone is best) and this regulator. My gate came with a standard 10lb spring. (I’d see 9 on my boost gauge on spring alone) I had a range of 9-20psi with this ****. I had to up the size of the spring in the gate to get more than 20psi.

You would remove and plug the gauge. The **** has a nice locking feature. You pull the **** up to unlock and turn it clockwise to allow more boost to reach the top WG port. That will increase the boost. Allowing no pressure to the top port will give you your lowest boost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Pneumatic-Air-Pressure-Regulator-1-4-BSPT-w-Gauge-750L-min-AR2000-/370723699329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5650daba81
Old 01-17-2014, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Assuming your in the ball park with the spring in your gate all you need is a dual port wastegate, length of vacuum hose (silicone is best) and this regulator. My gate came with a standard 10lb spring. (I’d see 9 on my boost gauge on spring alone) I had a range of 9-20psi with this ****. I had to up the size of the spring in the gate to get more than 20psi.

You would remove and plug the gauge. The **** has a nice locking feature. You pull the **** up to unlock and turn it clockwise to allow more boost to reach the top WG port. That will increase the boost. Allowing no pressure to the top port will give you your lowest boost.

Mini Pneumatic Air Pressure Regulator 1 4" BSPT w Gauge 750L MIN AR2000 | eBay
Awesome! Thanks a lot, this forum never fails to amaze me! lol
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mini Pneumatic Air Pressure Regulator 1 4" BSPT w Gauge 750L MIN AR2000 | eBay
Damn, you guys really trust these. Guess not if they have been running them for years on the Buick's.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I built a regulator unit at work with a special low pressure spring that doesn't make the adjustments so touchy. Its mounted in my dash where my cigarette lighter used to be. works like a charm! I'll take pictures tonight.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup that's the setup I ran in my Buick 20 years ago. Worked great.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
Damn, you guys really trust these. Guess not if they have been running them for years on the Buick's.
I suppose you wouldn't have to use a cheap plastic regulator. They make much nicer ones. I've never had an issues with the cheap units though. I have a name brand steel precision mini-regulator. It's a heavy bastard.

Originally Posted by Ping King
I built a regulator unit at work with a special low pressure spring that doesn't make the adjustments so touchy. Its mounted in my dash where my cigarette lighter used to be. works like a charm! I'll take pictures tonight.
I've haven't seen a "touchy" setup done like this with these regulators. Usually a half to 1/4 to 1/2 turn turn for a pound increase. I've never seen a relief type regulator small enough to go in place of a cig. lighter? Are you using a "boost bleed" type of control? They can be very touchy.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 01-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you guys comment on the gated-spring action on these allowing boost to come in faster? I never tried one (or any boost controller for that matter) but the one time I discconnected the compressor line to the w/g and just relied on spring pressure, I was very suprised at how much more responsive the turbo was at low rpms vs having it connected to the compressor. I would imagine using a controller with a spring has the same effect??
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Can you guys comment on the gated-spring action on these allowing boost to come in faster? I never tried one (or any boost controller for that matter) but the one time I discconnected the compressor line to the w/g and just relied on spring pressure, I was very suprised at how much more responsive the turbo was at low rpms vs having it connected to the compressor. I would imagine using a controller with a spring has the same effect??
Thats the "gain" portion of the controller. There a few diy methods to get that same kind of control very cheaply.

I like this setup. I've used it quite a bit. (pretty cool website too. wasted alot of hours there!)

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111348/article.html

Here is another way, very cheap and easy, But requires a bit of trial and error tuning so you don't over boost initially.

"If you want an even higher initial peak boost value, simply T into the wastegate line a small sealed volume, such as a small aerosol can or the pictured camping water container. This will allow boost to flare a bit, as the can needs to fill with pressurised air before the wastegate starts to move. This can be a surprisingly effective modification - on one Charade Turbo, fitting just the over-boost can was enough to give wheelspin on every full throttle first-second gear change!"
Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose you wouldn't have to use a cheap plastic regulator. They make much nicer ones. I've never had an issues with the cheap units though. I have a name brand steel precision mini-regulator. It's a heavy bastard.

I've never seen a "touchy" setup done like this with these regulators. Usually a half to 1/4 to 1/2 turn turn for a pound increase. I've never seen a relief type regulator small enough to go in place of a cig. lighter? Are you using a "boost bleed" type of control? They can be very touchy.
I'll take pictures. I'm using a std relieving pneumatic regulator with a 25 lb spring in it.

If you run a regulator with a std 125 lb spring it gets very touchy when you're doing adjustments for +/- 1-2 psi.

I'm adding pressure to the top of the wastegate diaphragm like the pictures above show.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

As promised. Picture attached

In-cabin boost controller-forumrunner_20140117_191959.png
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hello. I hope I'm not being a bother. I had a question for you regarding the post below.

I recently purchased a Borg Warner S476 from Forced Inductions and these don't seem to have a pressure fitting on the turbo. Would I be able to run the hose that's supposed to go to the pressure fitting on the turbo based on your diagram straight to my vacuum block instead? Would that work or do I need to drill and tap a pressure fitting on my brand new turbo? That idea frightens me. Please let me know what you think. Obviously I'm a 110% newbie in the turbo world, so I thought you might be able to assist. Thanks for your time.

Brad
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is best to get it close to the turbo. From the vacuum block may delay the speed it reacts. Tapping the outlet port really isn't a big deal. You could add a nipple to the tubing instead but the cast aluminum is pretty easy to work with. Tapping from the vacuum also adds the issue of the piping volume and IC pressure drop. Pre-IC at a minimum I would think.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exidous
It is best to get it close to the turbo. From the vacuum block may delay the speed it reacts. Tapping the outlet port really isn't a big deal. You could add a nipple to the tubing instead but the cast aluminum is pretty easy to work with. Tapping from the vacuum also adds the issue of the piping volume and IC pressure drop. Pre-IC at a minimum I would think.
At your vac, block or intake manifold is fine.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Teching In

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/applic.html

I got the hallman rx remote kit on a black friday sale. Cant wait to try it out this year.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a 0-25 regulator in a ton of vehicles with great success.

Quick Reply: In-cabin boost controller