Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI noob has some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI noob has some questions.

I'm no stranger to turbos on heavy trucks and equipment but I'm pretty new to the FI FBody cars. I really had my heart set on a procharger but I'm starting to think a turbo is a good way to go. I do metal fabrication for a living and could build most of my piping. I really liked the look of the APS kit but it's no longer available from what I could see.

Here is my goal and you guys tell me the best path.....

I want a daily driver car, full A/C, PS, all the goodies. Idle in traffic, I want cake and eat it too....

I'm in the market for 600-650 hp

I absolutely don't want to chop the car up and don't want to cut the front bumper for a big front mount inter cooler. (It's a Firehawk and I want bolt on builds.)

My car also has full headers and exhaust so a turbo kit will mean all that money is pretty lost but I could resell those parts, car also has a 224/224 581/588 114lsa cam, I have around a 7500 budget for the system I choose but that's not set in stone.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could do the rear mount kit...keep your headers too
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Can I pull 600 ponies from a rear mount? That would be an easy fab for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can pull that much from a rear mount. Im not a fan of them, but they work.

Selling the headers and buying truck manifolds would actually mean more money in your pocket as opposed to running with the headers.

The cam you have is great for boost. 7500 is also a very good budget for this, although I have less than that in converting my nova over from carb big block to turbo LS, and that includes fuel system conversion over to EFI and a new radiator and oil pan. You'll do just fine.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Well I'm not a rear mount fan either but I was always under the impression that truck manifold kits have to stand up radiator and set the turbo up front and I was concerned about underhood heat,......

Quick Reply: FI noob has some questions.