Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

65 Nova II - Basic LQ4+S480 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 65 Nova II - Basic LQ4+S480 build

I am far enough along that I would like to share what I am building with you guys. This is my first build doing 100% of the fabrication on my own and boy have I progressed along the way. Still a lot to learn for certain. Not my first turbo LS build though so atleast I had some lessons learned.

Cliffs:
1965 Nova II
Mini Tubbed w/ Ford 9"
6.0L LQ4, Studs, TU 1.5 Cam, LS6 mani
S480
Glide w/brake and Yank 3400 converter

Sorry for so many pics and info but im late to the party on starting a thread.

Here it is

This went under the knife 8/3. Long way to go.

Good friend of mine lets me use his giant powder coating over

Gross.

Less gross.

Motor time

TCI Front clip

Fab materials, new welder and motor in!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM
8 Second Club

Continued

Rear end all together. Studs, rebuild, new gear, bearings, disc conversion etc etc

Yeah lets put a turbo there

Downpipe

All tacked together.

welded

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Nice!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:11 PM
8 Second Club

Crossover and rad bracket. Wastegates mounted on other side. One has ok priority and the other not so great. Tial 38s. Hopefully has ok control.

Nice lil bay shot

Started making the exhaust from the downpipe

Welded!

More exhaust

Starting to weld up the muffler section after I was happy with the fit.

As I keep practicing I have gotten more comfortable with filler rod as opposed o some earlier fusion type welds.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
8 Second Club

That is the last of it. I have mounted the fuel cell, installed bulkheads and just need to make some final lines. Next up is interior, wiring, and lots of loose ends.

I hope to have it out this season! April?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Nice Job!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks for the PM. It always helps to hear from someone with some experience. Another one I did that hurt the early weld was when i setup the back purge I had a shared valve on one tank....I forgot to turn the overall gas up or close the purge one some. Basically I had very little gas at the torch before I noticed.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Looks great!! What tig welder do you have?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know what specific manifold you have on the divers side? Fits well with the alternator in stock position and no p/s.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by clyde moore
if its the welder in the back round of the pic with all the turbo kit fab parts it looks like a miller diversion 165. awesome welder good for beginers. i have the been using one for 5 or so years and love it. anyways love the nova keep up the good work man everything looks awesome!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice work. Thanks for sharing!
Ron
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by clyde moore
Diversion 180. Great starter welder. Miller had a nice sale on it which is how I ended talking myself into it.
Originally Posted by coltboostin
Do you know what specific manifold you have on the divers side? Fits well with the alternator in stock position and no p/s.
It is a stock truck manifold. I believe from an 06?
Originally Posted by Beanslsxnova
if its the welder in the back round of the pic with all the turbo kit fab parts it looks like a miller diversion 165. awesome welder good for beginers. i have the been using one for 5 or so years and love it. anyways love the nova keep up the good work man everything looks awesome!
It is the diversion 180. I love it so far. Thanks for the props I have learned a ton along the way.
Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice work. Thanks for sharing!
Ron
Just cant wait to be cruising.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet build. I'm doing a 63 duece that I put the TCI front clip on. My turbo ended up in about the same place. Are you going to make a brace ? I had to modify the truck manifold a lot on the passenger side to get around upper control arm mounting. Are running the exhaust inside or out side the passenger frame rail? Again sweet build.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE
Sweet build. I'm doing a 63 duece that I put the TCI front clip on. My turbo ended up in about the same place. Are you going to make a brace ? I had to modify the truck manifold a lot on the passenger side to get around upper control arm mounting. Are running the exhaust inside or out side the passenger frame rail? Again sweet build.
I will be making a brace sometime this week I think. Trying to think of the nicest way to do it that doesnt take up a bunch of my time.

I went 4" on the inside of the frame rail. It was not a pretty process. Lots of carbide action and a few extra cuts in the downpipe to manipulate angle.

I have way more pics in my photobucket. Some show how I went next to the rail. To keep spacing between the motor and rail thatis why I "solid mounted" the exhaust up front if you noticed. I mounted it to a cross bar under the car using round rubber bushings that are studs on both ends.

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/abl...74760083656908

How about you? Have a build thread?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have a build thread. I was waiting until I got a little further along. I bought the car about 4 years ago and then bought a lq4. I was going to use the stock front clip but.that was going.to.be a pain in the rear. I traded a fresh small block chevy for the TCI front clip. I set the motor in and then built a log manifold setup. I was not happy with it after talking to a few guys on here. I the got on a quick to do a old school 6-71 on the 6l. I completed the drive set up and just needed to clearance the blower and finish up fuel injection system for a hilborn hat. I then decided against that as I would not be able to drive it all over with no hood. So the next great idea was a stroker with ls3 heads and corvette intake. I bought the heads and intake and set them on the engine in the car. Looked like any body could do that so I'm back to the turbo. I started a truck manifold setup. I had to modify the manifold slightly on the drivers side. It got a modified 2 inch sc 40 90 welded to.it and a v band. The passenger side got some 2 inch sc 40 straight pipe welded to it. I made a hot side with 2 in cross over and 2in sc 10 stainless. I am not happy with it so I plan on re doing it. That is what I'm working on now, a reworked hot side. It looks like it wont be that tough to get the 3 inch between the starter and the frame rail, just a lot of short pieces and cut up 90s. I never started a build thread because I never got headed in one direction. After I get the new hotside and the down pipe done, I may start one.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Great build have you check out stevesnovasite yet?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

beautiful car-I have been wanting to start a project with a 65 nova, can you get that front end with a power rack? my shoulders are so bad PS is now a must
I was looking at relocating the radiator out front, using an LS with the 2000-20004 vette Procharger setup-I used this setup on a 69 chevelle (with a carb) and 8 rib conversion, really loved it
I would run a meth kit vs intercooler, the rad. relocation would give me more room for the Procharger air intake
def post more pics, quality work your doing
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Boostedhatch
Great build have you check out stevesnovasite yet?
Great site. I have gotten some solid info there but I don't stop in too often.

Originally Posted by forcd ind
beautiful car-I have been wanting to start a project with a 65 nova, can you get that front end with a power rack? my shoulders are so bad PS is now a must
I was looking at relocating the radiator out front, using an LS with the 2000-20004 vette Procharger setup-I used this setup on a 69 chevelle (with a carb) and 8 rib conversion, really loved it
I would run a meth kit vs intercooler, the rad. relocation would give me more room for the Procharger air intake
def post more pics, quality work your doing
Sounds like a nice plan! I think you can get the front clip with power.

I will get some more pics as soon as I get back out there to do some work! Fabrication is mostly done but I have a ton of small stuff to do. I am on the fecnt but I think the safe/smart thing to do is weld up a roll cage. I wish I knew of a nice pre fab one so I could save myself some time. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Great work so far.

I have a Diversion 165 and it does everything I need. I mainly use it for s/s and alum work. Love how compact it is and I can move it around with ease.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnx7
Great work so far.

I have a Diversion 165 and it does everything I need. I mainly use it for s/s and alum work. Love how compact it is and I can move it around with ease.
Long time no see! What are you building these days?

Love my Diversion for a starter machine.

Quick Reply: 65 Nova II - Basic LQ4+S480 build