LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Z28 5.7l Auto Gas and Cornmeal in the gas tank...The on going Struggle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Z28 5.7l Auto Gas and Cornmeal in the gas tank...The on going Struggle

1994 Z28 Camaro 5.7l lt1 auto
Engine from 1996 5.7l lt1

So 4 months ago i blew the trans in the car it sat at my brothers for a few months I went to get the car with a truck and trailer and went to start it for the added help with power steering. But no luck car wouldnt start. I guess I just knew I went right to the tank an saw the left over liquified cornmeal.

I got the car home and heres what I've done.

Dropped the gas tank cleaned it out.
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced fuel Rail
Injectors
TPS
MAF

I have to floor the car to start it (always had this issue)
but the main issue is that when the car is ideing I go to give it gas she stalls right out. only unless I and I mean very very gradually ease the pedal does she not stall out on me and die. Once I get her up and dont let her drop down to idle she very responsive. Smooth

Ideas? Im running low
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

what is your fuel pressure now?

if low maybe the lines themselves are partially cloged with the corn meal

FPR is also in-line so if that did not get replaced it could also be cloged

it takes just seconds for fuel to cycle through the system with car running. if you did run the car with the corn meal in the system it got everywhere so you need to flush out everything
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM

I was hoping the corn meal never make it past the fuel pump screen filter as well as the fuel filter. Was thinking just water made it in. while disconnecting lines and other components I didnt see any signs of corn meal only in the tank. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge atm. ill have to pick one up.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

since you replaced injectors and fuel rail I assumed you found debris.. The fuel pump sock and fuel filter should have stopped the corn meal.....and wtf that was in the tank???

get a FP gauge, ideally one with a hose on it so you can tape it to the windshield. good tool to have.

I bought the Hypertech one for around $35 years ago from JEGS. others are available. They just screw onto the schtader valve.

you need to confirm you have FP
Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Also check the IAC if fuel pressure is ok.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Will do buying a gauge asap will up date. I swapped the throttle body of my running parts car no change. that has the IAC so... that should be ok. Rechecked vac lines as well. Got to be the lines to the fuel filter. noting bad other then watery gas came out the old filter when changed. nor in the old fuel rail only found the corn meal in the tank. which i cleaned out and dried. (left inside for 2 days)

Today I went to start the car which wouldnt start. Its cold enough to snow so Im guessing the cornmeal has expanded and clogged the line completely. Ive push the car in the garage and turned the heat on to see if it starts. Got to get that gauge will follow up later.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Oh only reason I went as far as the fuel rail and injector ect. is because of the water that was put in the tank. the injectors were rusty where they spray. Where as my parts car with 200k on it were nice and shiny clean.

I guess I didnt mention it but I was told who and what exactly was put in the tank by a tenant that lived there. So for sure box of cornmeal and like 5 gallons of water. I only had 1/4 of a tank when parked and thought it was funny when it read over 1/2 a tank.

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 5.7l Auto Gas and Cornmeal in the gas tank...The on going Struggle