LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Solid Roller Springs and Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solid Roller Springs and Lifters

I am trying to figure out what lifters and springs to run for a solid roller?

Im thinking Morel lifters.
The problem is looking over their site I don't know which ones I would need.
Like the body diameter and ball diameter.
I dont know what will work for an LT1.

Same thing with springs, I understand I'd want least 240lbs seat pressure and 540lbs open but I don't know what diameter of springs and height ect will work.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
I am trying to figure out what lifters and springs to run for a solid roller?

Im thinking Morel lifters.
The problem is looking over their site I don't know which ones I would need.
Like the body diameter and ball diameter.
I dont know what will work for an LT1.

Same thing with springs, I understand I'd want least 240lbs seat pressure and 540lbs open but I don't know what diameter of springs and height ect will work.
Whoever specced the cam should recommend the valve springs and lifters. It depends on the lobe, and different cams will want different springs.

For lifters, if the car will see street duty make sure you get a HIPPO/ pressure fed lifter like the new style Endurex. Also good to idle a bit high to make sure everything is getting oiled properly at stoplights and in traffic.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Whoever specced the cam should recommend the valve springs and lifters. It depends on the lobe, and different cams will want different springs.

For lifters, if the car will see street duty make sure you get a HIPPO/ pressure fed lifter like the new style Endurex. Also good to idle a bit high to make sure everything is getting oiled properly at stoplights and in traffic.
I read that I should get HIPPO since it will be street/strip but as I said there is so many on Morels site.

Body ID from .842 to .930 ect.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.842 is what you want
Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
.842 is what you want
Thank you.

So what would determine on what roll ID you would want?

Like their is .700 and .750 with a .842.

But then there is like so many different designs.

So it seems I've kinda tracked down that Morel rebadged as Howards 91188.
.300 taller no offset.

Jesus summit wants 780 for them.

EDIT:

Found a Set of 4843s for 600.
They are Ultra Pros that is the HIPPO style correct?

Last edited by F0x Slaughter; 01-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you feel you need $800 Morels for a baby cammed street car with only ~550#s open? There are plenty of great street SR lifters for 500-600 bucks that will still give you tons of miles before showing signs of wear on that combo .

Those Ultra Pros are the proper HIPPO Morel lifters for an LT1 though. If you can find them around $600 then they are a good deal, since they used to be ~$700 for em. Still overkill for ya IMO, but not as bad as $800 ones...or those $900+ Iskys .

Think I paid around $500 for my HIPPO Endurex on Llyods recommendation. Fastfastboy ran them for years in a nasty motor and put over 10k street miles on them and said they were still within spec when he had them checked. Car ran ~10.6's NA at a crazy high raceweight (like 3900#s!) so it was definitely making power. They were also a few cars on sites like YB and Speedtalk using them with success on motors that make most of our stuff like like grocery getters.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Why do you feel you need $800 Morels for a baby cammed street car with only ~550#s open? There are plenty of great street SR lifters for 500-600 bucks that will still give you tons of miles before showing signs of wear on that combo .

Those Ultra Pros are the proper HIPPO Morel lifters for an LT1 though. If you can find them around $600 then they are a good deal, since they used to be ~$700 for em. Still overkill for ya IMO, but not as bad as $800 ones...or those $900+ Iskys .

Think I paid around $500 for my HIPPO Endurex on Llyods recommendation. Fastfastboy ran them for years in a nasty motor and put over 10k street miles on them and said they were still within spec when he had them checked. Car ran ~10.6's NA at a crazy high raceweight (like 3900#s!) so it was definitely making power. They were also a few cars on sites like YB and Speedtalk using them with success on motors that make most of our stuff like like grocery getters.
I don't have anything spec yet I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row and understand what it's going to take for a solid roller setup. Basically right now I am just doing research.

Quick Reply: Solid Roller Springs and Lifters