Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Cutout Location possible? Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudest Cutout Location possible? Pictures

I am planning the exhaust system on my 91 LS1 Camaro. It will have a big cam with long tube headers followed by electric cutout(s). I want the exhaust cutout(s) to be as loud as possible when open.

This brings me to my dilemma .

I have a couple of different options to go with. I am hoping you exhaust gurus can chime in and give me some input.

Option 1.

Quite simple, cutouts right after headers with turn down pipes.

Option 2
Have the cutout where the stock location for the Cat is. Then move the cat to the I pipe.

This picture isn't a good representation, therefore lets use the explanation I just gave.

Option 3
Have the cutouts right after the headers, with a pipe that is routed toward the door/rocker area. Maybe Oval pipe for clearance.

Option 4.
Same as above, just with turn down pipes.

-lol, hopefully no one noticed my dyslexic moment I had while making the above CAD drawings, if you understand this statement, you noticed.

I will most likely run a tubular K member, so that should free up some room. But let me know if you think there is no way with the stock K member.

So what do you guys think? Please only comment if you have exhaust experience, or have ran/heard a similar setup to what I have above.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the cutouts like in option 3 but without the extra pipes. both valves point outward just under car doors. Yea it is loud. Will set off car alarms when driving thru parking garages.

What I like about it too is that it doesn't matter if a car is on your left or right side, they are going to hear the pipes if I want to give them some throttle. Partially opening them sounds good too since you can 'tune' the sound of your exhaust note to how you like it, really lets the cam ping a ling without being too loud at shows or drive bys.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

im curious what the best/most popular placement for a cutout would be too. Subbed!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input RJDio! Your response is exactly what I envisioned with option 3, but I didn't know for sure.

TXsilverado,
I am building a relatively high end Z28. Nothing on the car will have the "mullet" mentality. The cutouts will be quality electric pieces and the exhaust work will be done at local reputable performance shop. Also, on another note, many of today's modern cars such as the Corvette and even the Porsche GT3 have cutouts installed from the factory, and I doubt the head Automotive Engineer of Porsche is rockin' a mullet over in Germany.

So what else do you guys think as far as location?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

I have mine right after the i pipe and under the rear passengers seat. Here's a video of it idling:

Loud as **** when you get on it though it's a complete head turner lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Good question..Im looking to do longtube and cutout on my 86 t/a. What size pipe do you plan on running.My car is lowered but id like to try to run dual 3 inch but not alot of room for that on this chassis.

I may run 3 inch y pipe and a single 3 inch cutout....
Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
I have mine right after the i pipe and under the rear passengers seat. Here's a video of it idling: http://youtu.be/q6a7YN8KbVA

Loud as **** when you get on it though it's a complete head turner lol.

Same place I have mine.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right after I-pipe.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2 will sound the best...#3 and #4 will be loudest...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
this!

why would you care about how loud it is? i would understand asking for performance reasons but i think this is where the photo stemmed from
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

I got mine put in so people would stop cutting me off on the highway. My car is louder than the horn and a lot more aggressive. so all I do is give a rev and they correct themselves.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
TXsilverado,
I am building a relatively high end Z28. Nothing on the car will have the "mullet" mentality. The cutouts will be quality electric pieces and the exhaust work will be done at local reputable performance shop. Also, on another note, many of today's modern cars such as the Corvette and even the Porsche GT3 have cutouts installed from the factory, and I doubt the head Automotive Engineer of Porsche is rockin' a mullet over in Germany.
i'm sure the engineers at chevy and porsche considered performance when placing thier cutouts....not just focusing on having the loudest car in the trailer park.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ LOL
I have mine at location #2. I have no problem setting off car alarms, making people jump when they walk in front of the car or watching the eyes of the porche driver grow to the size of dog ***** as this mullet boy throws him a rev.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

The volume has more to do with your header/Y-pipe setup. Headers/ORY will be loudest. I had cam/headers/ORY, and my cutout in position #2 (a little farther back on the pipe, though). It's going to be loud as hell regardless of where you put it. Better to save the money and use only one cutout.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

#2 will sound the least trashy (least being the key word), and might give slight performance gains

#1 will be the loud as hell and sound like **** but might give some slight performance gains (I have manual cutouts in this location for track purposes...they sound like ****)

#3 and #4 ...see below, will most likely sound like a racking off farmtruck with straight pipes

Old 01-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Haha thanks for the input guys.

I would be driving with the cutout closed 90% of the time. My 3" magnaflow cat back is VERY quiet and sounds stock. The car will have about 400-430rwhp and I am installing the cutouts for the fun factor, not for performance. So why not have them as loud as they can be, especially if I will only use them only 10% of the time?(unless it is due to my last statement of this post) If were to be way to loud I would be able to close the cutouts partially, correct?

I had a cutout installed on the I pipe right under the rear seat when I was running my 305TPI. I had stock exhaust with a gutted cat. With the cutout open it was actually on the quiet side. Many other Fbodys and mustangs were noticeably louder with gutted cats and loud mufflers. I'd hate to have an entire header back system fabbed up, just for the car to be on the quiet side. (I do know a Cammed, Longtube LS1 will be louder than the 305).

Now trashy is a concern. Are you saying trashy simply because it will be so loud, or due to tone? My 305 sounded "trashy" because it had tons of rasp, however a down pipe solved most of it.

Last edited by LSX Man; 01-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO the tone of a cutout (or dual cutouts) sounds like garbage on LSx cars/trucks, it might just be due to LS firing order or something like that but they simply do not sound good without some form of muffler or resonator. Some sound tolerable, but none come close to sounding "good" at anything other than idle.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Then that makes me reconsider. In person, I've heard tons of Gen 1 SBC's and Big Blocks that sound great open header. I've never actually heard a longtube/cammed LSX open header in person.

I would imagine an LSX has to sound great with a large cam, long tubes, and open cutouts, especially at Idle.

If it sounds like garbage when accelerating, I should be able to get some resonators and tune the sound some, correct?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

OP, I'm telling you, do it after the i pipe. It sounds great that way, I ride with it half open all the time and when it's completely open, well forget about the radio lol (that's an exaggeration). If you're into having a loud car and being able to really hear the cam, then do it and don't look back it will be one of the best mods you've done.

By the way, I'm running straight pipes to the cutout. Sounds awesome IMO and Ive been complimented on it countless times.

Quick Reply: Loudest Cutout Location possible? Pictures