Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shipping a rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping a rear end

For you guys who have shipped rear ends from your home, what do you use to secure/pack it? Who do you normally use to ship them.

I have a 10bolt that I will probably be selling and want it to arrive safely. Pics would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Going to have to build a crate, and then strap the rear end down to the floor of the crate and secure it with screws/nails. DHL or find a local cargo carrier
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

You can get a pallet easily from just about any store. Usually they give them away.

You can just strap it to that. Take it to FedEx and have them bitch as you for it being on an open ended pallet. Guess what, I shipped a trans and received a trans that way. They'd have to drop something mighty heavy on it to damage it.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool I can get pallets at work. I thought they had to be covered, even though I received my trans and motor open. Thanks for the replies
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Like I said, FedEx freight won't like it. But if something falls on it that's heavy enough to damage a rearend, it will destroy the crate it's in. So meh.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would then find out what company has a terminal near you. I would ask them what the pallet/crate requirements are.

If you use a pallet it will need to be long enough that the rear does not extend past the edges of the pallet. You can get a cheap banding kit from Staples or similar store to secure it to the pallet. If you decide to build a crate make sure you put blocks on the bottom so it can be moved by fork lift or pallet jack. Normally 4X4 blocks are needed.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, do yall think greyhound ships them? I know they ship large items. I can call tomorrow to find out for sure
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bother shipping it, its not worth hassle or time spent
building a crate and hauling it to a freight company

just sell it locally

It will end up costing more than what the rearend is worth
And anyone buying your rear will want you foot the bill.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69TA
Dont bother shipping it, its not worth hassle or time spent
building a crate and hauling it to a freight company

just sell it locally

It will end up costing more than what the rearend is worth
And anyone buying your rear will want you foot the bill.
69TA is correct. The shipping will be pricey. One reason is the size, the length is longer than standard so they will charge a extra fee.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for what its worth if you ship it i think your cheapest option is building your own palette to size using 2x3 from home depot.
when i got my s60 from strange it was on a custom palette made of 2x4 and 4x4. i still use that as a ramp to load my snow blower into my truck.
since the 10 bolt is a lot lighter, it would be a lot easier to move. maybe put some cheap casters on one side and a handle on the other so it's easily moved by one person.
my s60 came special freight delivery to my house so it was expected to have a palette jack or fork lift to move it, and the s60 was covered with a heavy gauge cardboard box which really served no structural purpose. depending on how you ship your axle i don't know if the shipper would require the thing to be a complete box or not. if you can get away with just a sized palette using 2x3 to strap the axle to that will be the best way to keep weight down.

Quick Reply: Shipping a rear end