Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New member just bought a CTS-V

Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member just bought a CTS-V

Hi all. New guy here from Toronto. I am the proud owner of a 2006 V. Black on black. Strange it has no sunroof though. I am coming from an Audi A4 Avant 3.2 6mt. This CTS blows it away in almost every category. Not even q squeak in the interior.

What the dealer told me was installed by the factory confuses me a little. I was told it has GM performance exhaust, intake and upgraded factory suspension. The mufflers said gm performance. The dealer also straightened the pipes out so they fit in the cut outs.

Now I do have a couple problems and I hope maybe you folks could please provide a little insight. I am no mechanic by any means, and the shop I bought it from is giving full coverage for a limited time.

1. I hear a thunk in the front drivers side over bumps. Could that be a strut or control arm?

2. theirs no spare tire. No compressor, jack or anything. There is only a weird storage pocket. If I get a blow out I am getting towed.

3. Drivers side heated seat doesn't work at all. My wife said the passenger side is toasty.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

1. Check sway bar bushings

2. Yup, no spare.

3. Common problem with wiring. search forum

Welcome

Mileage? Price?

Lastly, you lucky S O B! Wish I had no sun roof

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 01-23-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Oh sorry. It's a 2006 with 135k km. I got it for $18k canadian.

You guys wouldn't happen to have any insight to a factory installed intake, exhaust and sport suspension? Aren't they already? lol

I just found threads regarding broken wires under the cushion. Thanks for the tip

And I am having a hell of a time programming my garage door opener. I also have a 2013 Lincoln MKT ecoboost and it was a breeze
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Take some pictures of the intake. Exhaust, yes GM make a performance version. As for suspension, not much to upgrade except which shocks it may have.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Look at the stickers on the shocks. If it has the upgraded FG2 shocks it will have the dashed lines around the border like this-
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Teching In

I got a look at the intake. It's just a K&N tube and cone. As for the shocks I can't see them past the wheels and rotors. The mufflers do say GM Performance on them.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You poor bastard. Na, I'm just kidding. Welcome aboard
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks LOL.

Damn car gave me a heart attack last night coming home from work merging on the highway and it was -30 degrees celcius. I was accelerating in third to merge and the rear just stepped right out. I went completely sideways. I managed to pull it back. But damn, where was stability or traction control? I wasn't even booting it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WasTiSLine
Thanks LOL.

Damn car gave me a heart attack last night coming home from work merging on the highway and it was -30 degrees celcius. I was accelerating in third to merge and the rear just stepped right out. I went completely sideways. I managed to pull it back. But damn, where was stability or traction control? I wasn't even booting it.
Lol, once you rotate like 60° the stability control just goes "ahhhh **** it let him crash into the tree" lol

I have a black one without a sunroof as well. Just luck of the draw for me. I was going to buy it anyways. It was in real good shape.

Congrats on your V have fun. And try to keep it going straight. Those 400hories will step out of line on dry warm pavement easy enough, cold icy pavement must be hairy.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Teching In

I damn near had a heart attack. If my old 2007 A4 even thought about sliding sideways the stability control would have pulled it back straight. This thing waited until I was completely perpendicular to the flow of traffic before helping me not kill my poor V LOL.

I even have half decent winter tires installed. Perhaps winter wasnt the best time to get used to a high power rwd car LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha it's a totally different animal. Awd A4 with like 300hp or whatever... Then a 400hp rwd... Big change. When you get dry pavement it is fun to rotate the car a bit. I think it slides very well for such a big car. It's fairly easy to control

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 01-24-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Hmm I've never really had that problem with my V. Possible you hit a patch of ice and the front tires were not catching traction either? I have driven mine a lot in ice and snow and the rear end will only slide out maybe 6 inches and barely get sideways then traction control kicks in and all power goes away. As said before check the front sway bar bushings, mine are toast and causing a clunk as well. Congrats on the purchase though! V's are definitely an awesome car, it will turn heads everywhere you go!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

welcome
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will love your Cadillac "V!" I miss mine. I wish I had kept it. Anyways, welcome!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MichaelSuch
Hmm I've never really had that problem with my V. Possible you hit a patch of ice and the front tires were not catching traction either? I have driven mine a lot in ice and snow and the rear end will only slide out maybe 6 inches and barely get sideways then traction control kicks in and all power goes away. As said before check the front sway bar bushings, mine are toast and causing a clunk as well. Congrats on the purchase though! V's are definitely an awesome car, it will turn heads everywhere you go!
Thats why I find it odd. It let the car get way out of sorts before intervening. Could have been ice like you said. I guess I can't drive it like I did my AWD cars LOL

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
welcome
Originally Posted by A-Bomb
You will love your Cadillac "V!" I miss mine. I wish I had kept it. Anyways, welcome!
Thanks folks. Seems like a fantastic community here. I have a lot to learn about the fantastic cars.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the board.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the board bud. Make sure to check out the links in my signature and join the groups! Also, do you speak French? lol
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I just have a couple more questions. I appreciate your patience as these have been asnwered

1. I want to add bluetooth and play music from my iphone5 yet keep satellite radio. Is that possible?

2. I would like to know if an upgrade for the firmware and new disc for the satnav is available. My disc is from 05-06 I believe.

I know these have been answered, but I would like to know what the most popular choices are made by the members.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New map disc is available but only from 2008 so not that new.

Bluetooth is available but not for music. Just turns the onstar into speakerphone.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Swapping to an aftermarket deck is a good option, you loose some of the personalization functions but the factory nav is not so great... Great car, enjoy it and I would check a front strut for that knocking. Welcome to the DurmaxForum......wait this is LS1tech, Welcome to LS1tech!!

Last edited by Dmax/04V; 01-27-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member just bought a CTS-V