LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blown Head gasket. Best way to leave it in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blown Head gasket. Best way to leave it in the car.

So back over summer my car blew a head gasket. Since then I have not had any time to mess with the car other than 30 mins at a time if I am lucky. Anyways I know the car has blown a head gasket. Mainly on cylinder #6 and some on cylinder #8.

After a day or two I tried turn the motor over with no luck. I pulled the plugs to add some atf so try and free the rings up. Anyways when I pulled the #6 plug out coolant came pouring out. Enough that is leaked out from under the car. So I added atf to all the cylinders and put all the plugs in over night.

The next day I came out and pulled the plugs. Nothing came out of any of the cylinders. I tried to turn the engine with a 25 inch breaker bar and it will not turn. Its seized solid. So I put the plugs back in and left it for a day or two. Came back out and just pulled the #6 spark plug. More coolant. Enough like before to fill the cylinder full. Problem is the piston is near the bottom of the stroke and keeps filling up.

So since then the spark plug has stayed out of the engine. All others have been check and no coolant has leaked in. I added some more atf to all of the cylinders.

My question is how should I leave this engine. I would like to be able to salvage as much as I can since it has a load of new parts including my cam,rockers,timing gear,water pump,rods,pistons,oil pump,arp stud kit etc. I don't have the time or the space to pull the engine and tear it down for the next little bit. How would you guys store this engine?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Wondering if you hydrolocked the engine. Only thing you can do is start taking the heads off to see what you can see.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you drain the coolant out so it doesn't keep filling the cylinder, as you're going to have to drain it anyways to pull the head.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
Why don't you drain the coolant out so it doesn't keep filling the cylinder, as you're going to have to drain it anyways to pull the head.
This^^^
And i'd be worried having it sit so long with coolant in the oil and the cylinders. Coolant is probably eating at the bearings as we speak.

I think you would be further ahead pulling the motor and inspecting everything. If you have time to pull the heads, you have time to go the rest of the way to pull the motor.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I am far away from the car for work. The one day I wanted to pull the engine it was 35 degrees with a good wind and raining. Maybe next weekend I may have a chance to tear this down if the weather holds out. I should have drained the coolant.

Hopefully at least some of it can be saved. I am wondering if I did hydro lock the motor. I guess only a tear down will show what went bad.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think your first priority is to remove all of the go fast parts before they corrode. Just drain the thing and take what you can.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
I am wondering if I did hydro lock the motor.
If you only tried turning it by hand it should be ok, if you tried cranking it with the starter, chances are you could of damaged some parts.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

marvel mystery oil is much better than tranny fluid, i have saved many locked motors with that stuff. here in Florida the streets get flooded fast and people do not use common sense and drive through huge puddles and suck water all the time.

Drain Coolant while vehicle is level to drain as much as possible
Take all the plugs out
take an air blower and spray air into spark plug hole until as much water you can get out is out
Since the piston is in the block at an angle you will need about 3oz of MM oil so the entire ring is soaking not just the bottom, might be more or less
let this sit for at least 24 hr and don't try to turn before then
After you wait 24 hr make sure the front end is high enough (lift is ideal but not everyone has one) to use a breaker bar safely.
Start by applying pressure in the rotation of the engine, then back the other way. Do this back and forth motion until you free it.
once it is free keep the small back and forth motion until you can rotate all the way around.

Now it is possible a rod bent or a piston is stuck, if either has happen you might not be able to free. But you never know unless you try
Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well its been a while but about a week after the last post I pulled the motor.

Found loads of coolant in the motor. Looks like I got some head lift. The motor is tore down. Was able to free it up after removing two pistons. The bores are nasty but I think it will go .040 and be safe. As least it is tore down. Crank, rods, and pistons all look in good shape.

Quick Reply: Blown Head gasket. Best way to leave it in the car.