LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil cap leaking?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cap leaking?!

So ive noticed oil coming from the oil cap I think. Oil is at the bottom passenger side valve cover and thought it was my PCV hose (Which is contributing to the leak), but after farther examination found oil at the bottom of the oil cap with it on the valve cover. Ive never thought for a split second my oil cap would be leaking. Problem is finding if its the valve covers fault or the oil cap itself. The little O ring has never been changed. Any ideas if anyone else has had an oil cap leak & what solutions I can take wether it be new cap or valve covers (If covers I’m going CANTON )
Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Never heard of that happening, but with age I guess anything is possible. Last year I had a valve cover leak and it was pretty obvious when you follow the highest point of where the leak is coming from...it was right between the valve cover and heads.

Maybe the cap was loose? If possible I'd try to wipe off as much of the oil as you can then go for a drive and examine the leak again to get a better idea.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sof86
Never heard of that happening, but with age I guess anything is possible. Last year I had a valve cover leak and it was pretty obvious when you follow the highest point of where the leak is coming from...it was right between the valve cover and heads.

Maybe the cap was loose? If possible I'd try to wipe off as much of the oil as you can then go for a drive and examine the leak again to get a better idea.
Yeap did that several times over the past 3 oil changes. Oil is leaking from the cap and from the PCV hose. Its dry on the part of the valve cover the is half way between the PCV hose and cap. As far as the cap don’t know to blame the valve cover or the cap?!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have any insight?

Quick Reply: oil cap leaking?!