Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' T/A "Low Oil" On, then off? New here, TIA

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' T/A "Low Oil" On, then off? New here, TIA

New to F-Body and LS1(within the last week,like both now) My low oil light is on sometimes. Checked oil, was 1/2 quart low, added to full, no help. When I turn the key on, it always lights up. Start the car, sometime it will go off, other times it stays on. Oil pressure is usually around 35 @ idle(normal?) Could it be a bad sensor?
Old 05-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Yes, it very well could be a bad sensor or bad wiring. The sensor is located on the passenger side of the oil pan. It is a tan plug with a 2 wire sensor going into it.

Jason
Old 05-12-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are two (2) oil lights that I know of. One is "low oil" and the other is "change oil" make sure it isn't the "change oil light." Because if it is, you have to reset that stupid thing everytime you change your oil. All you have to do is turn the ignition to the "on" posistion with-OUT starting the car, and press & hold the trip reset rod until the "change oil" light starts to blink. If that's it, then problem solved. If it is the low oil light, then I'd march it right back to the guys you bought it from, and have them change out the sensor.... unless you bought it from a person, in which case he's going to tell you to **** off. Even still though, that sensor couldn't cost more that about $50 I'd imagine. Worst case, take it to a dealership, and just have them fix it. Take em 1 afternoon, and you won't have to worry about it ever again.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
There are two (2) oil lights that I know of. One is "low oil" and the other is "change oil" make sure it isn't the "change oil light." Because if it is, you have to reset that stupid thing everytime you change your oil. All you have to do is turn the ignition to the "on" posistion with-OUT starting the car, and press & hold the trip reset rod until the "change oil" light starts to blink. If that's it, then problem solved. If it is the low oil light, then I'd march it right back to the guys you bought it from, and have them change out the sensor.... unless you bought it from a person, in which case he's going to tell you to **** off. Even still though, that sensor couldn't cost more that about $50 I'd imagine. Worst case, take it to a dealership, and just have them fix it. Take em 1 afternoon, and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

98's don't have change oil lights. Sounds like a bad sensor.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you learn something new every day I guess..... thanks.