Sponsored by:

Hungry for more power

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hungry for more power

Hey guys,

Havent posted on here in a while. I have a 98 T/A, with aftermarket heads and cam, stock intake/throttle body. Big fuel pump, headers, 3.73's, Nitto 555's and a 3000 stall in the 4L60E. Car is my daily driver and road trips often from Fort Worth Texas to Lubbock ( where i go to school ). Car made 400 rwhp on a dyno a while back. Looking to make more power. A few options I was considering

Ls6 manifold, bigger throttle body, Wet Nitrous plate Kit with all the good safety features

Fast 102 manifold, 102 or 90mm throttle body, Direct Port Nitrous on the new top of the line manifold

Im new to Nitrous and would like to hear from some of you experts.

I want some damn good power but this is not a strip car. Strictly street and a daily driver.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nitrous is the last thing you should be using if it is a daily driver car.

I say get yourself a better intake setup and a bigger converter.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 4.10 gear and 4000 converter will definitely wake it up but your gas mileage and street manners will suffer. I don't think a FAST intake will yield good seat-of-the-pants results as it's well-documented that you may only net 20 rwph for more than $1K. Past 400 rwhp I think you're getting to the point where more power is going to equal less drivability especially in a DD. More gear and converter would be how I would go if you don't care about gas mileage. Then you'll always have the power available. Also, if your budget allows, a small supercharger would be another way to go.

If you're dead set on a nitrous system contact Brandon at Nitrous Outlet about their 150 wet plate kit for the LSX cars. We're putting one on our car now. However, we have a weekend bracket car and are shooting for the 9s once we change H/C and being broke down isn't an issue because we trailer it and it isn't a DD.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed on your progress!

Scott
Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is my thought on the whole thing...any of the mods mentioned above (besides the nitrous) will add minimal power and would probably not be very satisfying for very long. With the nitrous you very safely add another 100 hp, and just use it when needed. Won't be stressing the car while daily driving, and will be a huge bang for the buck when needed, That's just my opinion
Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Here is my thought on the whole thing...any of the mods mentioned above (besides the nitrous) will add minimal power and would probably not be very satisfying for very long. With the nitrous you very safely add another 100 hp, and just use it when needed. Won't be stressing the car while daily driving, and will be a huge bang for the buck when needed, That's just my opinion
I agree with you completely on this. A simple 100 shot will pick OP's car up more than any bolt-on, aside from doing an HCI swap, and maybe a new converter ($$$).

-Garrett
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Buy a Good WET plate kit and spray it. It will run exactly the same except when you need it to go faster. I would spray 125 and never blink an eye but you can spray 150-200 if you will pull some timing with a LNC2000 when spraying it and put a standalone fuel system in it. If it has cats you can put 109 unleaded in the stand alone and this will be a very safe way to run the car. Put the right spark plugs in it for spray. NGK BR6EF or BR7EF depending on shot size. Nitrous Express / Nitrous Outlet sell some good ones. All of the above depends on your budget.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Nitrous would keep your car just how you like it for that 7 hour road trip and you can have the power when you need it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree n2o is the perfect solution. U never know its there until u play with it, and then bam. Also being in warmer climate u may not need the bottle heater. U can setup and run for under a grand no prob.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
totally agree

Quick Reply: Hungry for more power