Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with expierence swapping an 73-87 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone with expierence swapping an 73-87 4x4

First off ive searched but would like to hear from someone who has done the swap so i know forsure.

I have a guy wanting to put a 5.3 in his 79 4x4. He wants to leave the 700r4 in it. Im trying to gather up a parts list and estimate of what parts would be. So far i know id need
Dirty dingo mounts
Crank spacer and bolts
87+Sending unit and walbro 255
Vetter filter/reg and fitting for that and fuel line at intake
Re-wire harness
Coolant hoses, fluids.
Make a braket for tv cable
Filter/intake setup (stock truck stuff?)
Have VATS etc removed from pcm
Planning on using stock manifolds (think thats possible if i remember reading right)

I know im missing stuff but not sure what, can anyone fill in the blanks for me?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u use stock manifold use newer ones with out the egr piece molded in. That piece hits mount.

Scratch that the truck manifolds point into c channel on truck and u have to S shape exhaust. We used camaro on passenger side and truck on drivers side. Next one we will use f body

Rockauto has 6.0 flex plate spacer and bolts for 40 or so
Old 03-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Are you going to be running the truck intake manifold? In that case you won't need to run the Vette filter/regulator as the truck fuel rail has the regulator built in. I'm literally in the garage piecing my swap together right now. I made a thread about my fuel setup earlier today and I can share any info I have with you if you want to call or text me. I had a preliminary list like you but forgot things like the air intake, O2 sensors, bungs, MAF sensor, a plan for the stream pipe (luckily the replacement radiator in the truck now has a port to plumb that in like it was in the late model trucks), fans, four circuit fuse block, relays for fans, and wires to consolidate the constant and switched 12v as well as grounds. 7205456331 feel free to contact me I'll send you parts lists of everything I've ordered if need be. I'm Chris by the way.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Oh, as far as the TV cable for the 700r4 I'm planning to make my own bracket and if all else fails tvmadeez.com has a specific combination for this setup that will allow you to have a cleaner install, comes with the cable, bracket and hardware to attach the cable to the throttle control with proper geometry.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

PM Sent

Quick Reply: anyone with expierence swapping an 73-87 4x4