Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise From Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise From Rear

The car has had a noisy rear since I bought it. It really sounded like the wheel bearings so I kept putting off doing it. I finally got sick of it and replaced them yesterday. Sadly the noise did not change at all. I used Timkin bearings/seals with Moser axles and Royal Purple syn lube.

When I had the cover off and spun the axles it sounded like it was coming from the center section. Would this point to carrier bearings or something internal in the differential? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you replaced the wheel bearings with no change then its either carrier bearings, pinion bearing or gear lash set improperly/gear wear.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Gear set has never been out of the axle so I don't know how likely improper backlash would be. I can hear it when I just spin one wheel so I don't think its the pinion bearings either. I guess the only option left is the carrier bearings. I guess my next step is to do the carrier bearings. Will I need to reset the gear lash if just doing the bearings or will I be able to just reuse the same shims that are in there?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Check the level of the oil. Since it was second hand, I think you have not monitored its maintenance.

Quick Reply: Noise From Rear