Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Gears

Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gears

So I just got my rearend back together after 2 months of money and research but apparently I didn't learn enough. The pinion depth is right and the backlash is .009, the problem is that it still howls under deceleration and when I turn right. The carrier doesn't fall out like it did before but I don't have to tap it in and it doesn't take much to pull it out. Could it be that even though the backlash is right, if there aren't enough shims in there to keep the carrier from going side to side, that would cause it to howl especially when I turn? Need some help. They are new Motive 4.10's
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Anyone? I got a performance mag for fbodies and it's saying that the cast iron spacer that comes in it stock should be put back in. Well I didn't put it just new shims. Could that be it?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this Yukon Gear Installation Manual http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/M...structions.pdf
And this from Randy's Ring and Pinion, last paragraph particularly. http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalH...n_Settings.inc
It sounds to me that you don't have the carrier shimmed tight enough with the side shims. When I built my rear I shimmed the carrier to as tight as I could get it as per the above manual. Don't worry about overloading the bearings by shimming the carrier tight in the rear housing, those tapered rollers can take enormous loads.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^ yes,bearings need a preload. re-used bearings not as much as new bearings. If the preload isn't enough,the ring gear has the ability to move away from the pinion and when that occurs,lash opens up.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Teching In

So right now that my backlash is good, but the carrier can just slide in and out, can I add the same amount of shims (equal thickness) on both sides enough to get a pretty tight fit and that should fix the howling sound under decel and turning right?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Also I only torqued the carrier mounts to 50ft lbs. is that too little? They are new carrier bearings and pinion bearings btw
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitty2418
So right now that my backlash is good, but the carrier can just slide in and out, can I add the same amount of shims (equal thickness) on both sides enough to get a pretty tight fit and that should fix the howling sound under decel and turning right?
The links I provided above will answer all your questions. Use the information.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Alrighty I really appreciate it. Makes me feel better knowing that is probably what is wrong. Will let y'all know what happens tonight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Gears