General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Popping Noise When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noise When Turning

Since I got my 02 ss there had been a popping noise when I made turns occasionally. Last night it turned into a rather large noise followed by the car seeming to drag ***. I parked her and did a quick visual inspection with ye olde flashlight underneath thinking something was caught in my wheel or I had a flat. Neither of which was the case... I'm getting suggestions leading to possible shock failure or rear differential problems. I have yet to switch the diff fluid since purchasing a month ago. Any ideas fellas ?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you indicated its coming from the back of your car correct?

did it feel like your wheels locked up? if your rear is going youll know it. it'll be violently noisy unless its in the beginning stages where youll hear whining.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

It felt like I was dragging something from the back Ill try to better diagnose tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get the diff fluid changed out ASAP. As ULTIMATEORANGESS said, if it were the rear end completely failing, it would have a whine/howl sound coming from it all the time - not just when you turn. To me this sounds like the fluid is bad causing some binding in the turns, and fresh fluid could do wonders.

As weak as these rears are, I'd recommend fresh differential fluid whenever someone buys one of these cars. Very cheap insurance, and it eliminates a lot of possible issues to give you a really good look at what kind of shape the 10-bolt is in.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to change the fluid ASAP, but I had a friend watch me drive around and said my car was sagging on the back right side which leads me to believe that is the shock.

Quick Reply: Popping Noise When Turning