Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

super oil system for rear mount turbo setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question super oil system for rear mount turbo setups

hello guys

i have a few questions pros vs cons on who has run a rear mount turbo set up

the car is a 1986 camaro with a genIII 5.3 fuel injected running truck manifolds in stock formation i also understand you loose heat you increase lag..

and will get to running one here in a second

the system i am designing has its own oil feed supply separate from the engine. Reason being is the cross contaminates from the turbo failing or starting to and taking your engine and turbo out, Not only that also a better way to keep the oil cool when your engine is running temps upp there 230+ oil starts to break down according to the weight of oil and the temps in the chra are much hotter than in the engine. then moving all that heat out of the engine bay will help

So cooling the chra for oil cooled turbos is an issue its when i seen that if we separated it all-together i understand thermal dynamics brass or aluminum bearings in the turbo are expanding and contracting that allows play and tolerances but there are people who push and push but then no matter how much you can keep your oil clean between races or endurance's the engines i have worked with just break down i have a set up i have made where there is a
3 qt Oil Reservoir
Oil pump and a Suction pump
and a dual speed feed controller
pressure gauges
low oil light
temp light
high pressure switch
low pressure switch

this is all in a rectangle insulated steel box one side for oil one side for electronics you could fit anywhere and i think i could make for about $400-500 max and make cheaper as i refine it if i can get people to work with me on it

i wanted to make something to share with people and keep our engines alive and easy to turbo and make it so other cars can get turbos just as easy just needing the charge pipe sending back to the inter-cooler following the exhaust back

i know on idle most journal bearing turbos require at least 10-15 lbs of oil pressure on load usually 60-85psi max before the seals blow and i have blown a lot of turbos and engines so i have a ton of experience with those issues of failure and trying to make things reliable as possible and idiot proof im looking for the issues of making something like this and who would like something like this to exist.. i am asking for pictures of what people have tried and failed and also successful setups
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just feed the turbo a constant flow. You don't need a 2 speed system. So you need 2 pumps and a tank really. You can even use the same model gear pump for both the suction and return. Naturally, the gear pump feeding the turbo will feed less oil than the one with no restriction, so you won't have oil backing up in the turbo. Then all you need is an oil pressure sender on it to check to make sure the pump is working. Hook both pumps to the same relay and fuse so if one pump goes, oil pressure stops and you get the oil pressure alarm.

Keep in mind too that you will need a heat exchanger (just an oil cooler will do) to keep the oil cool. You can plumb that on the outlet of the scavenge pump going back to the tank.

Quick Reply: super oil system for rear mount turbo setups