Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

e85 low compression ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default e85 low compression ok?

sup guys, im planning of doing a single turbo setup. My original plan was to run 317 heads with meth injection and dual 255 pump and 60lb injectors. I found out that theres a few e85 stations that are being built close to my house, so i was thinking if its ok to use e85 on a low compression motor.i I know i need more injectors. my 317 heads are not on the car yet, but i already spent money to rebuild them and ported them out. it be a shame to get rid of them when.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO, the only reason to run e85 is if you've built a motor that needs high octane. Otherwise it's like using Sunoco 110 in your low compression Honda. You can do it, it will run fine, but what's the point.

BUT, a turbo with the proper computer is the perfect engine for E85. You're not always going to be near a E85 station when you need it, so you should set it up so you can change the tune to match the fuel.

E85 will take more boost, needs 20-30% more fuel volume, and maybe less ignition timing.

If you can't do that, tune it for max performance on gasoline, and then use e85 in the summer when you can. You won't get the most out of the fuel, but it will run cool.

I have mine set up with two different tunes, with a dash switch. Because the engine has a lot of compression and a big cam, I tend to run the gasoline tune somewhat rich to help keep it cool. But I can run quite a bit leaner on e85. The end result is that it costs about the same to run either fuel on the street.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just turn up the wastegate. As long as your compression is not too low (9.0+) you'll have the ability to use gaso at low boost or E-85 at higher boost. You can also run more timing with E-85. Maybe even figure a way to use some of that E-85 as alky injection when running gaso...

Quick Reply: e85 low compression ok?