Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone rear end with no problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone rear end with no problems?

Hi there, recently a stock 2007 cts v was added to our garage. Before buying I had already read about the rear end problems that these cars had. I do know that the 2006-07 cars had a rear end upgrade but I was searching around seeing if there has been any reports of any 06 or 07 rear ends giving out but I have not found anything.

With that being said, since these cars are notorious for that there surely has to be some people out there with cars that they have beat on pretty good and the rear end still being in tact with no problems right?

We really have not got on our car yet hard but the times that I have stepped on it with tc on I did not notice any wheel hop at all and the rear end is super quite, it actually makes a lot less noise than my 2013 5.0 mustang.

We would like to take it to the strip for some runs, nothing serious just would be nice to once in a while be able to run it but I'm pretty scared that something might go wrong with some people even saying that 40 roll pulls are enough to break the rear end.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Upgrade the axles. I snapped an axle on my 05. Which in turn sheared the diff where the seal is. Now I have a 8.8
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Launching!

I have about 40 passes in my 07 with stock power up to 455, and I was able to drive it home everytime. Keep in mind tho, its not a great drag car from a dig. I left off idle and didn't power shift from 1st to 2nd so im sure my time suffered. I have about 3 other V 1's locally, stock is about 13.5, headers, tune...13.0-13.1. So not great times but decent. Others have gotten faster times, but we all ran kinda conservative. The 06-07 do seem to hold up a little better than the 04-05 but anything can/will break. I'd def put redline in the rear and just back out at first sign of wheel hop. I think it will be ok, personally.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a factory Gen 1 axle in my '04. No problems with it, I just dont' treat it like it's got a solid rear; soft off the line and give it hell once you have some traction.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by serik21
Upgrade the axles. I snapped an axle on my 05. Which in turn sheared the diff where the seal is. Now I have a 8.8
Did it go quick or hard launch?

Originally Posted by GFallen
I have about 40 passes in my 07 with stock power up to 455, and I was able to drive it home everytime. Keep in mind tho, its not a great drag car from a dig. I left off idle and didn't power shift from 1st to 2nd so im sure my time suffered. I have about 3 other V 1's locally, stock is about 13.5, headers, tune...13.0-13.1. So not great times but decent. Others have gotten faster times, but we all ran kinda conservative. The 06-07 do seem to hold up a little better than the 04-05 but anything can/will break. I'd def put redline in the rear and just back out at first sign of wheel hop. I think it will be ok, personally.
Your rear end still good?.. We don't plan on doing anything serious with the car, just some muffler deletes and some spirited drives from time to time and maybe the strip on a test and tune night nothing serious. I don't launch hard on my cars, even on my mustang I just launch around 2500-3k but maybe that's too much for the cts?

Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
I have a factory Gen 1 axle in my '04. No problems with it, I just dont' treat it like it's got a solid rear; soft off the line and give it hell once you have some traction.
Does the wheel hop happen more without the TC and stability control off vs it being completely on? I have yet to run the car with all that stuff off so really have not lost traction just a little tire spin here and there.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Launching!

2500-3000, and all the V will do is spin, unless you add drag radials, thats when things will start to break. How does the V feel in comparison to the 5.0, from a dig & roll? I personally would "launch" from idle and go from there. Anything over 1500 will probably spin tho.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GFallen
2500-3000, and all the V will do is spin, unless you add drag radials, thats when things will start to break. How does the V feel in comparison to the 5.0, from a dig & roll? I personally would "launch" from idle and go from there. Anything over 1500 will probably spin tho.
Well my 5.0 spins a lot as well especially when I first bought it but now I have just got the hang of it to where I have minimized wheel spin and just take off or no wheel spin especially with the sport mode on, now all tc off I will spin a ton and go nowhere.

That's where I started on my 5.0 as well, "launching" from idle, but that car isn't like my mach one which did not bog down from idle so I had to start launching harder and eventually got the hang of it.

Honestly I have not stomped on the cts v enough times from either so I'm not sure, although when being a passenger the v does feel like it puts you back in the seat pretty good I'm guessing its the 3.73s?

The time that I did get on it the car did spin but there was no wheel hop what so ever and it just took off pretty quick. I want to open it up a bit but like I said I read a comment online in which someone said even a 40 roll pull could break the rear end but this was on a 2005 that they were talking about, but I feel like they were probably exaggerating a bit.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

I had the latest gen diff in mine before my 8.8, 295 stickier tires and Dss axles. Broke off 3 dss axle stubs in my diff, but never had a problem with the diff itself other than a bit of noise, that I couldn't hear over my exhaust anyway. Never babied it.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red5.0

Does the wheel hop happen more without the TC and stability control off vs it being completely on? I have yet to run the car with all that stuff off so really have not lost traction just a little tire spin here and there.
I don't like the traction control on, I usually have it off--so I can't really comment on whether it's better or worse. The only time it hops bad is in snow/rain. But again, I launch pretty soft, sub-2,000 RPM and roll into it, then go WOT after I have some forward momentum.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

I have an 06 with 74k, owned it since 46k. The rear end has been fine and I've hopped it here and there on accident. I'm more of a cornering guy, but I'm usually spinning it up on the way out if I'm having fun. It doesn't whine and I have no reason to think it will break because there really isn't a history of that happening in 06-07.

However, I did have to replace bushings in the rear to get rid of the clunk when I press the clutch. I also had to replace motor mounts (I recommend UMI) and the fuel pump. I think you will meet up with these issues before you have a rear end problem unless you wrecklessly hop the rear end to prove a point.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the description of the OP's intended usage, he'll be just fine. According to the service history of my car, the diff had been replaced 3 times before I got a hold of it. The current 4th gen diff has held up pretty well, but like others I treat the rear with respect. I even forgot to burn off the old tires I just replaced.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 runs at the track, sooth street driving but lots of throttle. Have gotten hop a few times when dropping clutch and launching from a dig but that's it, don't try that anymore.

106k miles no whine it's solid
Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tommycompton
I had the latest gen diff in mine before my 8.8, 295 stickier tires and Dss axles. Broke off 3 dss axle stubs in my diff, but never had a problem with the diff itself other than a bit of noise, that I couldn't hear over my exhaust anyway. Never babied it.
Nice seems like you had one of the stronger ones. This one seems like it has no whine at all, completely stock with 95k miles and no whine what so ever.

I don't like the traction control on, I usually have it off--so I can't really comment on whether it's better or worse. The only time it hops bad is in snow/rain. But again, I launch pretty soft, sub-2,000 RPM and roll into it, then go WOT after I have some forward momentum.
Ah ok, so some highway pulls should be ok? Not enough to mess up the rear end? Basically if you have no wheel hop you're good?

Originally Posted by jenks40
I have an 06 with 74k, owned it since 46k. The rear end has been fine and I've hopped it here and there on accident. I'm more of a cornering guy, but I'm usually spinning it up on the way out if I'm having fun. It doesn't whine and I have no reason to think it will break because there really isn't a history of that happening in 06-07.

However, I did have to replace bushings in the rear to get rid of the clunk when I press the clutch. I also had to replace motor mounts (I recommend UMI) and the fuel pump. I think you will meet up with these issues before you have a rear end problem unless you wrecklessly hop the rear end to prove a point.
That's good to hear!

The dealer that I purchased it from had the motor mounts replaced and new brakes installed, well according to them so I'm probably good there for a while. No trust me I'm scared to step on the car, plus I don't like abusing any of my cars but I do like having a little fun from time to time.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
From the description of the OP's intended usage, he'll be just fine. According to the service history of my car, the diff had been replaced 3 times before I got a hold of it. The current 4th gen diff has held up pretty well, but like others I treat the rear with respect. I even forgot to burn off the old tires I just replaced.
I don't plan anything big with it, all we really want to do is do some muffler deletes and that's it. Maybe once in a while run it at the strip and probably have some fun runs in "mexico" but nothing too abusive or something that is done constantly. I also would like to do some auto x so maybe that's a little easier on the rear end then the strip. I never plan on putting drag radials or anything of that sort. Gotcha, so just be easy on her and once you get moving just let her rip.

Originally Posted by MN_V
2 runs at the track, sooth street driving but lots of throttle. Have gotten hop a few times when dropping clutch and launching from a dig but that's it, don't try that anymore.

106k miles no whine it's solid
Ok so I guess some people do exaggerate a ton and say that they break with any little thing.

Thanks for all the input guys I guess you just have to watch out for the wheel hop and no clutch dumping.

Last edited by Red5.0; 02-02-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red5.0
Ah ok, so some highway pulls should be ok? Not enough to mess up the rear end? Basically if you have no wheel hop you're good?

Yeah, I do 6th to 3rd highway runs all the time, hard rolling starts from 1st, etc. Basically if you're not hopping it, it's not likely to break. The hop is what frags them.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
JDB
Launching!

Complained about the whine of my diff and dealer replaced under CPO warranty with a Generation #4 diff. Flushed fluid after 1k miles using GM Dexron LS gear oil, then again a few k later with Redline 75w90 and its been silent for almost 30k miles.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I do 6th to 3rd highway runs all the time, hard rolling starts from 1st, etc. Basically if you're not hopping it, it's not likely to break. The hop is what frags them.
Cool, now I'm a little excited to see what this car has.. Last night a couple of people at a little "meet" thing wanted the V to run against a 2001 mustang gt with catback only but I denied I really did not want to mess around afraid that something could happen but I do know that this car could have whooped the GT pretty bad.

Originally Posted by JDB
Complained about the whine of my diff and dealer replaced under CPO warranty with a Generation #4 diff. Flushed fluid after 1k miles using GM Dexron LS gear oil, then again a few k later with Redline 75w90 and its been silent for almost 30k miles.
Nice, so I guess everything is pointing to these newer ones being a little stronger.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2001 Mustang race would have been a "puppy kick". These things hold strong with new 5.0s.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The 2001 Mustang race would have been a "puppy kick". These things hold strong with new 5.0s.
Lol I know, but this guy came in revving the crap out of his car and he was saying something about Vs not being able to touch some car that his uncle owns. Another 4.6 put him in his place and he didn't even bother to come back to where we were hanging out at. This V is my brothers and the 5.0 is mine, now I want to see how they stack up.

That's if this cts is running like it should be, it idles fine there is no weird noises or anything. We took it to some local mechanic to check the compression and to see what he thought about it and he said it was perfectly fine and strong that it came out to 140lbs and that most motors can reach 150. When he said that I knew he had not checked it so we went to go pick up the car and left, I'll just buy the compression tool and do it myself. According to others it should be around 180lb?

These are the cars
Attached Thumbnails Anyone rear end with no problems?-photo-1-.jpg   Anyone rear end with no problems?-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I think generally you wont break unless you wheel hop, or hard launches with sticky tires. My 05 has 64k, 6k are mine. The first year or so id dump the clutch at 4500 n get on the brake to try n smoke the tires. Wheel hop like a mother. (This was before I understood how bad it was). Never had a problem. However now that I replaced all the bushings with polly ones I hear it whine. Although I understand this is common. I still hard shift 1-2, 2-3 and occasional 3-4. Never a problem except a little wheel spin.

Also I now have a light weight fly wheel (13lbs) n twin disc clutch. it makes starting out a little rougher but id think the significantly less rotating mass would make it easier on the drive train. I remember the stock setup felt like it was flinging you into the next gear.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Red5.0 with the stock gears, just remember 2nd gear at 40mph or 3rd gear at 60. The car seems to perform best at those parameters.

Quick Reply: Anyone rear end with no problems?